Does anyone own a 2.5 x10 x 40 4200 Bushnell?

dimecovers3

I have one on order and need to get some rings ordered. Bushnell tech support (or website) could not provide outside diameter of objective bell so I'm unsure if I need medium or high Burris Signiture rings.

Any help appreciated. The scope is going on a calling rig LVSF 700 in .17 Remington if that is helpful. I think that flutted barrel is a magnum countour at the shank portion--not sure.

Trying to get as low as possible, so hoping medium height might work

Hi. I have just meaured mine, and the od is 1.930 for 1 5/8" then tapers to 1" (no kidding) at 3 7/8" from the front of the objective.
The rear is where I nearly came adrift, the power change ring will not fit over Leupold bases with low QRW rings. Fortunately the eye relief is spot on for me with the front edge of the ring .020" behind the rear of the rear base.
I like the QRW rings, but I take the lever off, loctite the screw into the base of the ring and cut the head off then just do the nut up wth a socket. I don't take the rings off at all regularly so the QD aspect is no big deal, but the rings are a bit more robust than Weavers and still low profile.
This scope is on my 260 rem, which gets used 0-400 yards, and replaced a VX111 3.5-10. Light transmission is great and the anti fogging coating is superb. I had a 4-16 on my 280 until replacing it with an IOR 3-18 and thought it was also very good.
Regards
Ross

Thanks for the reply and for the specs on the bell. Never even considered the rear end. Do you think regular medium height leupold rings would be a good choice? I was wanting those Burris rings with the inserts.

I have never used the Burris rings, but can see the advantages in them- I machined the tapered dovetail off the top of a Sako and machined up bases from 316 bar stock years ago because I wasn't happy with the Sako system.
On the other hand, the rifles I now have are all set up with lapped rings and seem to work just fine- if you have perfect alignment then you don't need swiveling inserts (but the ability to offset is nice...).
With the exception of the Valdada rings that came with my IOR (35mm body) all my rifles use modified Leupold QRW rings and I am happy with them. As an aside, I have acidic sweat and find the Leupold rings don't tarnish where I can have polished blued steel looking like the Barrier Reef in no time at all.
Regards
Ross

"I like the QRW rings, but I take the lever off, loctite the screw into the base of the ring and cut the head off then just do the nut up wth a socket."

Doesn't Leupold make a ring exactly like the QRW but with a heavy nut instead of the lever? If memory serves, they called it the PRW or something like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.