Does anyone make decent 7mm-08 brass

17Fireball

Bought a few hundred new Remington brass as it was all I could find. Being used to Lapua in my .243 I don't like this brass. Stretches a bunch and some of the primer pockets have quickly lost their tight fit.

I have heard guys using the 308 Lapua and running it through a 7mm-08 die. Talked to my gunsmith and he recommended against it saying issues with neck thickness consistently using this method.

Necking down from .308 to .284 I doubt you would have any neck thickness issues. I hate to go against the advice of your smith, but if it were me I would be getting some 308 Lapua brass and necking it down. We do this all the time with 300 win brass necked down to 7mm for the 7-300's. Same sizes and process.

Jeff

Bought a few hundred new Remington brass as it was all I could find. Being used to Lapua in my .243 I don't like this brass. Stretches a bunch and some of the primer pockets have quickly lost their tight fit.

I have heard guys using the 308 Lapua and running it through a 7mm-08 die. Talked to my gunsmith and he recommended against it saying issues with neck thickness consistently using this method.
I neck brass all the time and have no issues whatsoever. Get a new smith man. The only issues here are not lubing properly causing uneven stretch( on a neck up) and a tight necked chamber having issues (needing turned necks) when your brass is a bit thick necked.
The 308 to 7-08 neckdown is as simple as running the brass through a fl die and loading.
I get half of my 270 brass by necking down '06 and she's 1/2 moa with it, all of my 35 whelen brass by necking up '06 and she's moa with it, and I neck down and blow out 375 h@h brass to 7stw and they are fine with 1/2 moa capability. A good portion of my 338 win brass is actually freebee 7rem brass I was given new and decided to neck up as I only need a few hundred 7rem brass at once.
Btw, your load is too hot if you are blowing pockets with rem brass.

Thanks for the input...keep it cominig guys.

So, just to make sure I understand...

You recommend:

I buy Lapua .308 brass.
Run it through my RCBS FL 7mm-08 resizing die
Measure, trim if needed.
Load for my 7mm-08 and live happily ever after with no problems.

I have had the same issues with Reminton brass. It's junk. A Midway primer pocket tightener helped keep the primers tight. I neck down 308 Lapua brass. It comes up a little short in length but it doesn't seem to be a problem. If tight necks are a problem, Winchester brass is thinner. Also I had some Nosler 7mm08 ammo. This brass is pretty good.

Last edited:
Necking down from .308 to .284 I doubt you would have any neck thickness issues. I hate to go against the advice of your smith, but if it were me I would be getting some 308 Lapua brass and necking it down. We do this all the time with 300 win brass necked down to 7mm for the 7-300's. Same sizes and process.

Jeff
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

I agree with Jeff, and would buy some Lapua .308 Win brass and throw it in the FL sizer die and.....VIOLA! Lapua 7mm-08 brass. :D

Jeff

...aaaaand, if you're worried about the necks being too thick, you can buy some Lapua 260 Rem brass, and neck that up, instead.

Would it be better to neck up from .260 or neck down from .308 ??? PS. What powder and bullets are you guys shooting? Sorry for the hijacking, I just started loading for my new 7-08.

Catfur is on the money, if you neck up 260 Lapua brass the neck will get slightly thinner and you won't come up .015" short on case length.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.