Does anyone know where I can get a TAP...........

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mindcrime, Apr 23, 2006.

1. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

.......to make my OWN threaded cases for use in my Stoney Point guage??? I believe that it is a "special size and pitch." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. Meister

Meister Well-Known Member

Get on stoney point's website. they will sell you one or tap your case for you, for a fee of coarse.

Stoney Point FAQ's

3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Save yourself a hell of lot of aggravation and expense. Go buy the sinclair seating depth tool. www.sinclairintl.com costs under $30 and as accurate if not more so than the stoneypoint. I have two stoney points and tap and die for sale if anyone wants them.

BH

4. mo

mo Well-Known Member

if u find out let me know? I tried to buy one, but no one in the the town I live in could match up a tap to the threads

MO

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I make my own version for my 50 BMGs.

From their FAQ:
    <font color="blue"> </font> Q: What is the thread size for the OAL Gauge? I am an experienced machinist and would like to modify my own brass. Can you provide the proper drill bit and tap?

<font color="purple"> A: The thread size is 5/16" x 36. This is a special size drill and tap that we can provide to experienced machinists. Contact us for details </font>

I have a tap press I use to make my tools - I don't think you could make one without something like a tap press to get the correct alignment.

They only charge $6.50/case - so I think I'll just send them a bunch of cases. Only $4.75 total shipping.

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

B1G_B0RE,

What's a tap press?

Started using the drill press as a guide. Bummer

Rigged up drill and tap 'arrangement' for my Forester neck turner/trimmer. Works ok. Would work great if I could exactly center the tap alignment.....

7. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member