Does anyone have any handgun experience with the .358 Win???

mindcrime

I have been tentatively thinking of turning my 7mm BR XP-100 into a .358 Win as I have a love for the .35 caliber, being the owner of a custom .35 Whelen Mauser that has bowled over two elk without any struggle---one at 275 yards. What do you think of the .358 Win???

I don't know how they compare but I had a .358 JDJ in my contender many years ago. Ran sierra 225's thru it on top of acc. 2520 and a lot of deer went into the freezer. If memory serves me right the 225 was rolling at about 2300 fps out of a 14 inch barrel, poa at 100 and 7 inchs low at 200.

Shot a young problem brown bear ( 7') a few years ago with a 15" barreled 358 and 200 grain Hornady. Took a number of deer quite nicely.

The Brown Bear started 200 verticle yards up the hill when I pulled the trigger. At the shot he dropped and started rolling towards me. 30 feet from me he expired! One shot, partial broken neck. Rear legs were non-functioning.

I think the cartridge is great but rechambered the barrel to 35 Whelan as the 358 Win just hasn't the juice for big bears. SHould do just fine for things that do not eat you.

Neal

Thanks for the replies fellas. Neal, I already have a Whelen and that WOULD be my first choice but we are talking about a short actioned XP-100 Hand Cannon (in a TC Encore, it would be the cat's meow!). I think the XP-100 is probably too short for the Whelen. I do have a VZ-24 Mauser that I built in .35 Whelen. It simply knocks elk off their feet, a great caliber, sometimes I wonder why in the world Winchester created the 8mm WSM (325 WSM), and didn't go with a truly American round, like say perhaps a 358 WSM!!!!! Beats the heck out of me!!!!! Now THAT would have made lots of folks very happy!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.