Does anyone have a Custom Browning?

matt_3479

You always see the Remington 700 line of rifles being custom, and savage, even Ruger every once in a while or sometimes winchester. You never hear about a browning being custom. Why? Browning Makes some good bolt action rifles, why dont people custom them?

I just happen to be putting one together right now but its not a bolt its a B-78. To answer your question, I don't know any reason why the bolt wouldn't work just fine.

Browning doesnt have as good of an angle for camming the bolt over. Typically the threads where bbl and action meet are terrible (from what I here) Magazine fed, by a short length mag. A horrible trigger, And very very little in the way of aftermarket parts.
Im a Winchester fan for sure. Win has my favorite action by far,-BUT-I have a soft spot for Brownings too belive it or not. I found most of this information out while doing research here at L/R/H, and other places, seeing what I could do with my A-Bolt 338win mag to ''spruce it up a bit'' and customize it to streach its legs some.
Well I settled on a D.I.Y. trigger job (3lbs is as light as she goes) and its still squishy and creepy, but 100% better than it was. Next I will replace the tupperware stock with a bedded wood or laminate one. Thats about where it ends for me. Kinda bummed, cause I do like my Browning, but wadda ya do....?
I did however read a post and saw pics of a beautifull Browning custom a guy here on L/R/H built during some sort of gunsmithing school or training of some sort. It shot lights out too from what I remember. I think I saw this post sometime between Dec and Feb. Maybe try doing a search here on L/R/H to try and find it.
I wouldnt give up on Browning if you own one, but if you want to customize a rifle later, your alot better off buying a Winchester Model-70, or Rem-700.

A friend of mine shoots an A-bolt in .300 win. Heavy S.S barrel, Muzzle brake, Nightforce 5.5-22 and I've seen a few 4" groups at 700 yds. He put a spring kit in the trigger to get the pull weight down.

The Timney spring kit works wonders for the A-bolt trigger. A little stoning on the sear helps to cut the pull weight as well.

I have a Browning BBR 1977 which is being customized into a 25 Pronghorn. Parts availability is the biggest complaint that I have You are sol if you are thinking about getting a good sourse of parts. Possibly have to buy two to keep one working.

Shoots accurate, trigger isn't the best by far. External finish is 1st class.

21buck

I have a Browning BPCR that has been rebarrelled with a full hex barrel and trigger work... I guess I have not considered it custom

My Dad told me 40 yrs ago, If you want a hotrod,Buy a Hotrod, There's plenty of them out there factory built, factory warranty. Check your prices and options, pretty much the same...

Not the most popular choice, but there are a few around. Mine is on its third barrel now. One of my favorite pics:

2007Snow.jpg

A more recent one:

PICT0032.JPG

I feel they make for a very nice carry rifle for all around hunting. For a real heavy rifle they wouldn't be my first choice. There's lots of misinformation out there about them. Nasty locktite/thread galling on stainless actions is a real problem, but most of the rest of the stuff you hear about them is BS.

I feel they make for a very nice carry rifle for all around hunting. For a real heavy rifle they wouldn't be my first choice. There's lots of misinformation out there about them. Nasty locktite/thread galling on stainless actions is a real problem, but most of the rest of the stuff you hear about them is BS.

Are the stainless actions more prone to galling than the standard steel actions?

You always see the Remington 700 line of rifles being custom, and savage, even Ruger every once in a while or sometimes winchester. You never hear about a browning being custom. Why? Browning Makes some good bolt action rifles, why dont people custom them?

Browning Stainless Stalker 7mm Mag, Rockcreek 5R Barrel 25"#6 contour 1-11" twist, 2 lb. Timney trigger spring, Stock is original composite not the newer plastic, I shoot 120 TTSX/hBN and Berger 140 VLD Hunting. Action has been blueprinted and a David Tubb recoil lug added. This gun has always shot one moa or better and now shoots .5 moa or better. As far as quality it took less than two minutes to lap in the lugs as there was already almost 100% contact. I had never seen this with any receiver, custom not included.

Jon A

What stock is that? who did your gunsmith work? is that an abolt ii?

I'm curious about the stock, as well.

That is an original A-Bolt, b/c it has the round fluted bolt body. The A-Bolt II bolt is A-shaped the entire length of the bolt body, which is what I have.

Here's a pic of my A-Bolt II bolt...

0F9F8652-8AF0-4F9D-AEF3-A198290EFBFA-300-000000267C2FB613.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.