Does anyone else have a problem with this?

sobeksminion

Top cop issued with gun after credible threats - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Am I being unreasonable or does everyone else believe that this is unacceptable? Why should he have a right to carry a firearm off duty just because he is a police officer?

At my sister's uni there is a road referred to as 'rape road'. You just don't go there. If she applied for a permit to carry a firearm for self defence the police comissioner would probably laugh at her.

It just seems to imply that his life is worth more than everyone elses.

Please note: I am not having a go at the police of NSW. The brave men and women who serve on the frontline do a fantastic job and deserve our respect. It is just the bueracracy I have a problem with.

Any country that has given away their arms deserves what's coming. I don't think the commissioner should get a weapon if the rest of the population can't.

Laws are for the little people and plebs. We have the same thing here, where politically connected people, politicians, and the glitteratti can get carry permits in the big cities, but no one else can.

No Not all.....

My staff have worked along side him on the road and he is a well decorated officer that has been knighted. I have met him and he is highly credible and not a mere paper pusher. He actually got wet and directed traffic at a major collision with some of my staff, which is unheard of for such a high ranking officer

If you were getting threats by a well known organised crime syndicate/ family linked to several confirmed under world killings I would also be carrying a firearm 24/7.

It is not uncommon for officers to carry firearms in Victoria if genuine threats have been made.

I dont think you fully understand what type of criminal we are dealing with here.

If you were getting threats by a well known organised crime syndicate/ family linked to several confirmed under world killings I would also be carrying a firearm 24/7.

Thats my problem. If I was getting credible threats I would NOT be permitted to carry a firearm because I am not a member of the Police force. My problem isn't that he is allowed to carry a firearm, it's that he is allowed to carry a firearm and no-one else is.

I think it's a case of all people are equal, but some are more equal than others.

I see your point.. and then I don't..

Are you suggesting cops shouldnt be armed....? No special treatment...its been going on for as long as I've been an officer and thats 30 plus years..

Special Operation Group staff are armed 24/7 as they are on permanent call out.

Armed offender Squad detectives are armed up at times as well

For all the talk of "equal rights" and "equal justice under the law", you simply have to realize that the ruling class consisting of bureaucrats, politicians, police, etc. are your superiors. They have government (a criminal gang in and of itself, with big guns) behind them - you and I are viewed as simple serfs, who, in their eyes, exist merely to continue laboring in order to send a good chunk of our income to these rulers for their pleasure.

I am all for police being armed while on duty. Police require a firearm to carry out their job. As do the defence forces, NPWS, professional roo shooters etc

I am suggesting that police should not be allowed to be armed off duty. We are expected to trust the police to be there to protect us when we are in trouble, yet if you are a police officer you can carry a firearm at all times in case you need to protect yourself? It just seems really hypocritical.......

I know it has been going on for a long time, but that doesn't make it right.

If you are on call 24/7 then you are essentially always on duty and you need to keep your firearms close because your job requires it. You do not have your guns because you feel threatened that someone might attack you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts