Does anybody know of a game shear that will work?

700man

Went to Nebraska pheasant hunting in November , hunting was great but my game shears KILLED my hands. Does anybody know of a real good game shear, that will not hurt your hand when you clip the wings?
Thanks for your help. Ron

Ron:

I use a pair from Chicago Cutlery that has a sort of hole in the 2 blades near the handles. I put the wing bone in there, clamp down real tight, then use my other hand to snap the bone where it's held in the shears. After that, just more the shears to the sharp cutting portion and cut thru the meat/feathers/skin where the wing snapped. I've lost count on how many pheasants I've cleaned, I would guess at least 1,000. You wouldn't imagine how many pheasants we go thru while training Springers!

Go to a Lowe's or Home Depot garden department and get a small one hand shear that is used to trim small tree limbs. They are built twice as sturdy, some are even ratchet operated, and are 10 times more comfortable on the hands, plus they hold their edge a lot longer than the scissor type shears. The one I have used the last couple years has only one side sharpened and it closes onto a flat bar type surface on the other side. Use it one upland as well as all ducks and geese and have had no problem. You might have to wait a couple months till the lawn and garden stuff gets displayed .as this might be the wrong time of year to find much choice or options

As a guide at a local hunting preserve I have used many types and brands of shears and cleaned in the high hundreds of pheasants. The best I have found are either the Pampered Chef except for cutting a leg bone or the Kershaw. The Kershaw shears I have are my personal ones and have been on 5 trips to SW Kansas where 4 or 5 of us would often due rather well and a few trips to Northern, IL and of course all of my preserve work, hunting and oodles of quail.

But since I mostly breast out pheasants I don't have to cut a leg bone, wing bones are just as hard though and the kershaw shears work very well on them. Literally they are the best shears I have used. Alot of them may cut bone netter but are gapped too wide to cut flesh or feathers, the kershaw cut bone well and flesh/feathers are a dream.

Use a little hatchet for wings and foot. Works great used on about 2900 pheasants this year alone.

Take me with you and i'll clean your birds for ya. Voila, no more sore hands. Lol. Though seriously i get along fine with gerber, might be better out there but they work for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.