Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

• Usually do

Votes: 807 35.7%
  • Usually do not

Votes: 1,193 52.7%
  • No but I probably will in future

Votes: 263 11.6%

• Total voters
I started using electronic ear muffs in the early 90's. Its just a matter of getting use to using them and realizing, you have only one set of ears. Protect them 24-7. While mowing the lawn. When ambulances and fire trucks drive by. My dad was deaf. My brothers are not far behind. They just cannot understand the concept of preventive maintenance. Like working out and belonging to a gym. You stop moving, your done!
I had a muzzle brake put on a 338 ruger back in the day. Now, have one on my 243 and get to watch either the hit or miss while blasting yotes. Very rewarding. I have a BAR with a BOSS. Same thing I love watching the bag-flops!
Just the other day, I heard the yotes climbing up this seep hill with rocks from about 100 yards. I was able to be set, in position, ready for the shot. I nailed one. Saw three.

Post 60 and married 30 years.......

Prior to, I always used 'protection'

Now, don't need it...........:D

Far as hearing loss.......What did you say little whippersnapper????:)

How often do you replace your Surefire Sonic Defenders? They say 6+months of use is that 6 months of strait shooting? or just use and abuse?

I only wear them hunting, and I replace them every season. Mainly because at one point during the season (usually toward the end when I am helping someone fill their tag) I get absentminded or drunk and lose them (OK, let's be real: drunk). They are only $13 at WM, who cares? I have several pair. It's usually while I am hauling *** around in a Ranger it seems...

I ALWAYS use at least plugs, but usually muffs and plugs while "fun shooting".

And for those who say "I HAVE to hear due to predators": the Surefires work great for that. Unplug them and you can hear fine.

No BS these Sound Gear Plugs are going to be the answer to most everyone's issues with normal hearing protection and amplified muffs. Again, yes they are expensive, but when you consider all of the other benefits from slightly amplified hearing as well as preventing hearing loss...... It's well worth it.

Three people at my work have major hearing losses from unprotected shooting (range & hunting). Ages=35, 42, 45!! All now wear "hearing aids" to function normally at work and in their personal lives. None have family history of early medical losses, only exposure to high impact sounds (shooting). Exposure to quick impact noise over 120db causes instantaneous hearing loss. Prognosis for their golden years, not good...hearing naturally deteriorates as we age.

My oldest son (37yrs) builds custom rifles and is an advocate for Good Hearing Protection. However, on just "1" occasion, he forgot to wear his protection while beginning load development for his braked Lapua .338. He now has a severe high hearing loss in his left ear...not good.

As of this reply, your current hearing is the Best it will ever be. Be it plugs, muffs, el. muffs or these el. plugs, PROTECT the hearing you have before it's too late...It Is in Your Control...make it a wise choice!

I was surprised the poll did not have a box for "always" Electronics help my hunting by amplifying what I would normally not hear in addition to protection......but take it from someone who now has tinnitis...wear hearing protestion every time you shoot a gun- period

I just ordered a set of Peltor 6S after reading this poll. I always used them on the range; but for hunting with a brake it makes sense.

I just ordered a set of Peltor 6S after reading this poll. I always used them on the range; but for hunting with a brake it makes sense.

I've been using the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact El. Stereo Earmuffs for All of my shooting activities (range & hunting)! Amplification of surrounding sounds is very simple, selective and accurate.

At the outdoor range, can hold a normal conversation and easily hear the range master...All while having excellent attenuation and ear safety during high noise rifle impacts. In the deer stand, can easily hear your partner whisper, the directional winds, bird and animal noises in the woods (squirrels, rutting bucks, etc,). Due to the dual pick ups, I can differentiate sound directions with wide adjustment for the volume of sounds I Want to hear.

When I dropped my first deer on Jan. 2nd 14' (.30-06), saw the muzzle blast but never really heard the impact...Noise damping is Swift and Quick with almost immediate return of regular sounds (under 1\4 second)! So far, these electronic ear muffs are comfortable, adjustable and well built. At 17degress during the past hunting days, they also kept my ears very warm!

As mention in this post, they do take a little getting use to due to possible interference with a low and tight check weld, an issue that the El. Plugs would not have. However, during my past 6 days of hunting in deer stands (over 44 hours), I never experienced any discomfort and they performed flawlessly!

For me, the acceptable HL ear muffs $$$ investment (<$50) was a no brainier, as I will always protect and keep the quality of hearing I currently have!!

Most of my hunting is done in grizzly country,ill take the risk of getting my ears rung from one shot over not being able to hear a "wuff" or jaw pop up ahead of me any day!gun)

Or you could wear electronic ear protection and hear the grizzly coming sooner than with your own ears bare. :)

This is a really good thread, it really got me thinking about what kind of future hearing I wanted to have. I finely bought a pair of ear pro 4 sonic defenders and all I can say is that I love them!!!!!!! I would not use them for range work but while hunting they are amazing I can stalk and hear things moving around me perfectly. I did some math and found that at $14 for one pair a year it would take me 28 years to reach $392 that's $8 short of the Sound Gear hearing protector/amplifiers plus technology is always changing so in 28 years what new and improved hearing protection will there be? Now all surefire needs to do is sell packs of replacement filters and then we will really be in business:D

I shot my 338 Win Mag with a brake ONCE without hearing protection in the field after forgetting ear plugs & that was enough. I just finish rebarreling the gun with a heavier barrel & installed a limbsaver, no brake this time! My ears rang for 2 days I wont put a brake on a hunting rifle again.

Spending 3-4 days at a time at matches the electronic ear muffs r great. Mine r lo profile peltor. You can actually adj them to hear normal speach farther away while multiple shooters r active than you would b able to hear without muffs& no shooters. Actually had an incident between shooters when a lady shooter hadnt removed her muffs and overheard some teen boys 30yds away make,what i took as flattering, comments about her figure, speaking in low volume. Noone else had heard them. Even people much nearer. You actually have to b carefull or u might hear things u dont want to.
I have no experience with the in the ear electronic type.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.