Do you use wilson style dies?

lazylabs

I am thinking about getting some wilson dies to at least use at the range for load workup. How many of you guys use them? I will be using cases at least WSM size, I know wilson won't make inline dies for wildcats is there anyone else you are using for that? It might just be easier to mount a seperate press on a board that I can clamp to a bench at the range. I do however like the inline seaters........... hummm Let me know your experiences.

Im using wilson SS 6 mm Dasher dies, they are nicely finished. For my 220AI wildcat i sent my reamer to Forster and had them make a bushing bump neck sizer and a Ultra Micrometer Seater... Harrell Precision make a Compact Loading Press.... Mag size. They use standard RCBS shell holder and clamp to a bench. pic is the finish of the wilson SS 6 mm Dasher dies

Attachments

• P4290016.JPG
    P4290016.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 86
BLOG December 2006

Read this article about a range portable reloading bench. I can take this to matches and ranges and I have another press that just mounts to it so I can use standard 7/8x14 dies or a arbor press .

Having said that, I like Wilson and other inline seating dies for extreme accuracy setups.

I got into BR 80's so learned loading at the range with Wilson dies and using Kennedy tool box. I loaded 17/18yrs with press then here this new way just take the tool box go load and I decided back then I'd start doing it with my hunting/varmint rifles shooting at the range or working up loads.

Here I am 29yrs latter still taking my tool box to the range. Wilson changed some they no longer offer FL sizer but they still sell die blanks if anyone want custom dies from the chamber reamer or ones they don't offer. Last time I looked the neck blank was $58 and seater $50.
I also have arbor dies from Neil Jones.

Biggest advantage to me is getting to make changes it can be seating depth,neck tension,change primer/bullet/powder and see the result after you do it. Guess I've been doing it so long things that don't work I don't need 5 shots to tell they won't.

I normally get 5 reloads per case if I take 10 cases that 50rds fired add 5 case that another 25rds. Once I get a load if I go to the range I'll do everything at home except seat the bullet.

That is sort of what I was thinking. I would take 50 primed and ready to go cases to the range and then use these dies and an arbor press to work on powder/bullet/seating depth combo's. I have to drive about 40 miles to the range I use and you hate to make up a bunch of test rounds and then end up either not finding a good combo or getting good groups with the second combo and wasting the others or pulling bullets.

That is sort of what I was thinking. I would take 50 primed and ready to go cases to the range and then use these dies and an arbor press to work on powder/bullet/seating depth combo's. I have to drive about 40 miles to the range I use and you hate to make up a bunch of test rounds and then end up either not finding a good combo or getting good groups with the second combo and wasting the others or pulling bullets.

I agree with you and I think as you get use to loading at the range you find things work better than others.

Well good luck

I have been using the inline Wilson dies for several years nor for loading at the range. Use a small K&M arbor press, and rarely load more than eight or ten cartridges during a session. It seems like I will always have three or four bushings with me for each particular neck size; just incase I want to try something new (rarely do). I normally just reload the same five case over and over, but when I get a tight one I drag out another case to use.
gary

i love reloading with wilson dies. i have been getting rid of my conventional dies and updating to wilson for a while. there stainless micro seating dies are the ****, just wish they made more caliber choices in there stainless dies. there standard dies are just as good of quality except they rust easy and do not come with micro tops. if anyone has neil jones arbor dies maybe they could post a pic, since ive never seen his.

i love reloading with wilson dies. i have been getting rid of my conventional dies and updating to wilson for a while. there stainless micro seating dies are the ****, just wish they made more caliber choices in there stainless dies. there standard dies are just as good of quality except they rust easy and do not come with micro tops. if anyone has neil jones arbor dies maybe they could post a pic, since ive never seen his.

Here a picture of the Jones dies I posted on another site

NoslerReloading.com • View topic - Custom dies

Wilson

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11614

Wilson bushing

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11625

Jones bushing

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11619

TOM.... did you call and just have them send you one of everything? haha

He would like to see fired case because both dies will needs bushings and if your new customer he may not trust your measurements so be best to send him a case. Hope this helps

Neil Jones wants 5 cases fired 3x. If you do not have that, he will send you a NS die to allow you to fire them, return it with the cases and what he does is add a FL body insert to the die.

the Neil Jones bushings are also different. They are actually at true neck bushing that goes all the way down onto the shoulder for the shoulder bump.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts