Do you use an illuminated reticle on your riflescope?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious. Years ago when I got my first NF NXS scope I tried it and didn't find it helpful. Technology has changed and I wonder how popular illumination is on riflescopes these days.

I have a hand full of nightforces and a few other brands that have the illuminated reticle. I can honestly say I have turned everyone of them on to see the what it looked like, and then never used it once in the field or even felt the need too. The fact that a scope illuminates doesn't even come into my reasoning for buying a new one anymore.

Not usually. Only night hunting coyotes and for that the intensity needs to be at a minimum to get rid of that awful glare.

On long range rigs it is not something that important to me. But if there is a chance the scope will be used for night calling then yes, it is a good thing. We did do some long range shooting at night once (glow sticks taped to steel targets) for this the Ill. ret. was a good deal. That stuff is fun, try it.

Jeff

Not usually. Only night hunting coyotes and for that the intensity needs to be at a minimum to get rid of that awful glare.

On long range rigs it is not something that important to me. But if there is a chance the scope will be used for night calling then yes, it is a good thing. We did do some long range shooting at night once (glow sticks taped to steel targets) for this the Ill. ret. was a good deal. That stuff is fun, try it.

Jeff

Would have said same, only insert "& Hogs" after coyotes to that.

- Dave

Just curious. Years ago when I got my first NF NXS scope I tried it and didn't find it helpful. Technology has changed and I wonder how popular illumination is on riflescopes these days.

Len,

None of my 3 Leupold rifle scopes (VX-6 3-18X50, VX-III 3.5-10X50, VX2 3-9X33) are illuminated...their simple duplex reticles are very sufficient! :D

Ted

My Leupold AR mod 1 3x9 has the TMR/ illuminated fire dot. I think I would rather have it than not especially for the difference in price. My Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 mil dot doesn't have it and I can live without it but would prefer that it had it. I'm shopping for a new scope for my 300 win mag and would like to have an illuminated reticle.

For those that are not hunting at night or predawn/post dusk hours the illumination has little or no use.

That said; where I am it is thick brush and woods that I am shooting into. It is very easy to lose the cross hairs in the environment that I shoot. It does make centering the reticule very fast in my experience since the contrast really pops out even when using relatively low power.

Yes, but it's not a deal breaker. For my eyes it seems to sharpen the edges a bit, and offer a bit of contrast to some targets. I like the Illuminated Leupold TMR.

It's not a stand alone feature. This last week I left one in the truck overnight, and the battery was too cold to operate.

The value of an auto off is self explanatory

Well - I love it . Because I hunt in areas where the pressure is high the games tend to come out the last five min of legal shooting time . 60% of the time I have to used the illuminated reticle to be able to hold the crosshair on the game . Their darker hair and black. Reticle is hard to hold. I have to setup the intensity at minimum due to the glare.
all my rifle scopes hase the illuminated reticle and used it when necessary.

The older i get the more useful I find it. My eyes just aren't what they used to be and I find myself having to use it on my Swaro's at dusk and dawn legal shooting light more and more just to find the crosshair intersection.

It sucks getting old.

I have had a Leupold Mark IV 8.5x25x50 illuminated with target knobs for 15 years, and it has never found a home on any of my rifles.

I have an IOR 4 - 14 X 50 illuminated for a few years, and it has not found a use.

I have an IOR 2.5 - 10 x 42 illuminated, same deal.

I have a US Optics 1.8-10x37 Ergo illuminated, same deal.

I have a Burris 3x9x40 illuminated, same deal.

I have a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot....... and that is getting used.

I also have several scopes with illum which rarely if ever gets used. But, I'd rather have the option of turning it on for that one-time shot as opposed to wishing I had it. Goes with the "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" thought process. Kind of like a fire extinguisher in the home, life insurance, concealed carry, etc.

Geb

i have two meopta scopes with the illuminated 4C reticle. love em. i used the illumination on a deer one time this season. dont think its needed as its pretty easy to square up the target even tho the middle portion is a bit thin. however that tiny dot does help with precise aiming in really low light so its good to have

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.