Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

• YES

Votes: 612 30.1%
  • NO

Votes: 943 46.5%
  • NO, but I really should!

Votes: 475 23.4%

• Total voters
I've been making my own since 1964. Learned to apply layers of hard rubber padding with duct tape in the Marine Corps. I've refined it over the years.

I like Shawn Carlocks design.

I sling my rifle over my off shoulder and the sling lays over my backpacker shoulder strap. I'm comfortable with the set up.

Attachments

• 300 win mag 2.jpg
    300 win mag 2.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 27
I just put on an Eagle stock pack. To bring the pack up for my cheek weld, I attached velcro strips to the velcro already inside the Eagle. I cut 1" x 4" strips and used the adhesive backing to attach male and a female strips back to back. I added 4 of these combos inside the front of the stock pack and 3 to the inside back of the pack. My cheek weld is now working and the velcro is rock solid for my cheek bone.

I really thought about getting a Karsten or Defensive edge, but I really like the fact that I can store an extra clip, range card and earplugs etc. in the pouch on the stock.:D

Where did you get your Eagle stock pack?

I want to put a Eagle stock pack (black, right hand) on my new Remington 700 LSS 257 Weatherby and I've not been able to find one anywhere.

TIA

i use them on some of my rifles and even a ruger p9 9mm carbine.

why? i don't know, but it took me quite a while to figure out the "Eye to sight" alignment that is crucial in getting optimum accuracy from ANY sighting system.

I just started using one and feel I should have done so long ago. It doesn't matter so much at the bench, but in field conditions (prone, seated) it really feels more solid in achieving a good consistent, cheek weld. So lightweight, it only weighs a few ounces. This picture doesn't show the new anodized black fasteners that Shawn has on their way to me to replace the aluminum ones now shown.

This is my coyote gun. I will be adding one to my antelope/deer gun also.

I like it so much I just became a dealer!

Defensive Edge Adjustable Cheekpiece at the LRH Gear Shop

7831PS.jpg

Len....

I do exactly the same thing in my business, I do a first article test on a product (in other words I use one myself in a real life situation, under less than optimum conditions) and if it meets my expectations, I become a dealer for that product as well.

First hand experience always outweighs conjecture....

Besides, if you believe in a product you offer, it's so much easier to sell because it usually sells itself.

Yes, I use my Karsten Cheek in the field for shooting. Keeps my cheek firmly in place and allows me to control the eye relief on my scope much better shooting offhand. It gets removed for the bench. Just gets in the way.

I have mine marked with a paint marker at the respective settings (cheek piece height and cant) for myself and my son. That way, it's readily settable for either of us.

Most stocks are still built for factory rifles with the idea that sighting will be done along iron sights and yet 90 percent are mounted with scopes that sit much higher. For quick mounting and accuracy three points of contact are best: under cheek bone, pistol grip and forehand. Without these accuracy and speed suffers even prone. Does not apply as much for BR.
That can't be true... :D

DSC_1884.JPG

DSC_1894.JPG

Yes, A karsten cheek rest came with my Savage 111 LRH.

When I set up the scope, using the cheek rest, made marking and positioning easy. When ever I change positions, I use the closed eye
check, when I open the eye, I see a nice clear scope picture every time.

The only problem I have had was in removing the bolt for cleaning. I have to remove the rest to get the bolt out. So to get the rest back in the same
position every time, I used a lead pencil to draw circles around the bolt
heads before removing the rest. IT Goes right back on in the exact same
place every time and only takes a minute.

Shooting with the rest is great! Settling in and getting comfortable, with
an on target scope picture is fantastic. Makes this rifle a pleasure to shoot.

Leatherman black powder products has a lace on cheekpiece. I plan to buy one for my 338 win mag my new scope is 2.5 inches above the bore so I need height but I refuse to deface a beautiful monte carlo stock with great character in the wood. I have used those cheekpieces before they do the job well excellent weld and the groups reflect it.gun)

Sounds like a solution. I would not mess up a beautiful Monte Carlo stock
either. Those are my dust collectors.

The synthetic stocks have improved to the point where they have become the
work horse for hunters, competitors and all around shooters.

Sounds like a solution. I would not mess up a beautiful Monte Carlo stock
either. Those are my dust collectors.

The synthetic stocks have improved to the point where they have become the
work horse for hunters, competitors and all around shooters.

I LOVE the asthetic beauty of a well crafted stock. Of all of my weapons only one carrys a "synthetic stock" and thats my M4. I value the traditional beauty of a well crafted weapon. Call me old fashioned old school whatever even in the Nam the stocks were wood and accuracy never sufferd

I LOVE the asthetic beauty of a well crafted stock. Of all of my weapons only one carrys a "synthetic stock" and thats my M4. I value the traditional beauty of a well crafted weapon. Call me old fashioned old school whatever even in the Nam the stocks were wood and accuracy never sufferd

Yes, Choices are wonderful.

I run a HS Precision w/ no palmswell on my 338 EDGE hunting rifle,after having problems with cheekweld,a couple of days before a big hunt,I laced on a $20 Brownells leather "cheekrest",could not believe how well it worked.Who wudda thunk ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.