Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

• YES

Votes: 612 30.1%
  • NO

Votes: 943 46.5%
  • NO, but I really should!

Votes: 475 23.4%

• Total voters
After using every option out there I have strictly went with the KMW cheek piece by Terry Cross.

His system uses one allen key which tightens down a clamping system that squeezes 2 solid rods which will never slip. After using this system I have built every rifle since then using this.

That is a decent looking cheek peice on the mcmillan stock. I hope the rifle shoot's as good as it look's !. the stock's on my my custom built rifle's are laminate with a high montecarlo cheek peice. the exception is the newest which is a 6.5 .284 that has the mcmillan A2 stock. after I see how this rifle perform's I may consider installing a cheekpeice such as your's.

gun)

Don.

I have relatively cheap rifles and I do use a raised check piece for my main varmint rifle and my main big game rifle. SImple elastic like sock with foam rubber pasted to the stock. I don't know what brand it is, but I am really glad I found it! It makes a world of difference for making real consistent shots.

Not high end by any means, I use vet wrap "coban" with dense foam. The vet wrap is slip free and gives a good cheek weld also is noise free.

would love to try one,,,,the market is just a little shy for Lefty's..gun)
same with xp 100R's...got em'.. but think I could do better w/ lefty stock/ or grip...any ideas?

Not yet. Looking forward to get one, but I am thinking of getting a new synthetic stock for my rifle before I drill holes in my wooden stock. In the meanwhile I will improvise some type of stock pack or something that will raise my cheek weld so I can comfortably shoot in the prone position.

Hi,

Yes I used one cheekpiece for my HS-Precision Stock on 338 edge.
Helps aloooooot! More relaxed when shooting and no muscle pains for long shooting sessions.
I have one similar with Defensive Edge type.

I use one similar to carlock's that I made using kydex. I truely believe that they are necessary. To me it is like using a consistent anchor point when shooting a bow.

+1. Made one out of 1/8" ABS from the hardware store forming it with my wife's hairdryer. Surface of the ABS has a little texture to it which helps keep my sweathy face from slipping down the cheekpiece. Worked great. Recently made a new one that fits better. Without it is like shooting a shotgun that when you put it to your shoulder doesn't have your eye looking down the comb--not too good. I think it's a necessary 'indexing' item for consistent repeatability and especially for prone long range work. Just my .02 worth of experience.

BTW, I've got a Manner's T2 stock on the way and when I told Tom that I was going to put on Carlock's DE adj. cheekpiece, he was glad to know because he modified the fill in the area where the screws will be. Just an fyi for folks ordering stocks. Might want to run this by your stockmaker. Won't matter with Russo, obviosly, but with composite stocks it might.

Last edited:
For about $130 you can get the hardware for an adjustable cheekpiece, it adjusts 3 inches for height and adjusts horizontal too. It is thumbwheel vertical adjustment and wrench for horizontal. It will work on wood, laminate, or synthetic. It comes from Warren tool I think, he's in the NE, google adjustable cheekpiece and you'll find him, he shipped mine the next day.
For those who raise and lower the cheepiece to operate the bolt: I also shoot F-Class competition: just cut a section of your cheekpiece out at the front where the bolt hits it, your face doesn't use that part anyway! gun)

I do not have one.

Other than a quicker acquisition of the target while you set up what is the advantage of one on a rifle with a scope?

Thanks.

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.