Do you shoot an Ackley Improved round? Which one?

Sendero Man,
The 22-378 Wby has also been called the Eargensplitzenloudenboomer.
Once barrel brake-in is done the whole barrel is truly done.
UB

I got my 30-06 AI up and running about 15 months back. The barrel of my 1982 Rem 700 in 30-06 was shot out, the accuracy and velocity were becoming dismal. I took off the old, turned down barrel, and sent it to Dan Lilja to have a 26" ss barrel turned down to the identical external dimensions. I saw this as a cheap man's 300 magnum since the only thing new I had to do was obtain reloading dies which consited of a Redding shoulder die, Lee 30-06 neck collet die and a Forster floating chamber for my Ultra Seater die which I already had in 30-06.

I've only run about 1/2 dozen different ladder loads through it, using 180 BT/AB or 200 PT/AB. Fortunately the 180 BT/AB bullets work w/ the same load of 68.5 of Rel 25 for 2997 fps and the 200 PT works w/ 68.4 gr of H1000 giving 2853 fps. Accuracy runs .5 to .75 MOA for the first and just sub MOA for the latter.

I'd say in the 15 months I've been shooting it, I've put at least 700 rounds through it. If I'm not careful, I'll shoot it out and have to get another barrel; same caliber too!

I have the 22-250 AI, 220 swift AI and similar 220 wby rocket, 243 AI, 25-06 AI, and I think I still have a 338-06 AI. The Gibbs version in all calibers from 6mm-338 and the JRS versions in two or three calibers. I am a firm believer in blowing out the '06 case. The accuracy and performance is there in all I have tried. For there purpose all the calibers I tried shoot very well and some are my best shooters. Most of my shooting with them has been short range inside a quarter mile. Both my 243 AI's shoot increadibly well averaging around 5/8" groups at 300 yards. Prarie dog poachers of the highest order. But really all of them shoot very well including the Gibbs and JRS. My velocity increases in all of them exceed or in some cases far exceed published data I have found. My Gibbs for instance typically equal or very nearly equal the mag counterparts in all calibers. For instance 264 gibbs equals 264 win mag, 7mm gibbs=7mm rem mag, 338 gibbs=338 win mag, 240 gibbs exceeds 240 wby mag. You get the idea. Very similar performance with extreme cost savings if you shoot a lot.

223AI. This rifle has surpassed all my others as my favorite rifle.

Specs-
Trued Rem700
Badger Lug
1/8 twist Pac Nor finnished @ 26"
Throated for the 75 AMAX
Badger M5 DBM, with my mag mod
McM A4, pillar and bedded in Devcon
Badger Rings w/ picatinny cap on front ring.
TPS 20MOA Rail
Nightforce NXS 3.5x15x50 R1
All metal coated in GunKote
All work done by Geoff Corn
101_0249.jpg

I have a 223AI and a 6mmAI. both are great cartridges. Also a wildcat 7mm cartridge based on the 8mm RM that has a 40* shoulder. First time I shot that at 600y it made a 4 inch group, and that was with just thrown together loads.

I shoot a 6.5 O6 IA
257IA built by PO
280 IA and a 30-338 25 shoulder angle
I like the 6.5 the best have killed Elk, a Goat, and Mule Deer it accurate :pgun)

6.5-06 Ai

This past summer I had Kirby build me a light weight 6.5-06 AI rifle. I'm still in the process of experimenting with different loads, but overall the accuracy is sub MOA, which is great for a scoped 9 lb. rifle. I will use it on sheep, deer and anything smaller.

my son shoots a 223 ackley and my daughter shoots a 22-250 ackley...my next barrel is for me and it will be a 243 ackley with the right twist to send 105 grain amax's down range with a quickness. Right now I am shooting a standard 243, and hope to get another couple years out of it.

ackley improved

I just started shooting a 338 edge ackey improved. So far so good.

once you go ackley you will never go back!!! I have 222 rem mag ai, 243 ackley, 6mm ackley, and 25-06 ackley best things since sliced bread.:)

I have a brand new 6.5-08AI that I plan to fire tomorrow and 4 .280AI rifles, and a 7mm-08AI that I love. once formed they are very easy on brass and all of them are very accurate. Ron Tilley

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.