Do you shoot an Ackley Improved round? Which one?

marchboom

There is a lot of interest in the Ackley Improved rounds and I was just wondering how many of you use one of these rounds for long distance shooting, which one do you use and how well does it perform?

And based on your experience, would you change to a different AI caliber?

If there is enough interest in theses calibers, maybe this forum should have a section dedicated just to the Ackley cartridges?

I have a 30-06AI and I like it, but if I had to do it again I would probably have gone with the 280AI. You can shoot higher BC bullets (generally) at a decent velocity for impressive downrange performance. The 25-06AI nips at the heels of the 257 Wby in a 26" or longer tube. Another nonmagnum round to consider is the 6.5-284 for deer sized game. It has garnered quite a following due to the ability to fit in a short action with good powder capacity and efficiency.

I shoot fireforming loads through a 6mm AI. As soon as I get it badded and scoped it will finally get some bullets through it.

I have been shooting a 22-250 AI for about 3 yrs now. I have been very pleased with it's performance pushing the heavier bullets. It has been the death of many prairie dogs out to just shy of 700 yds.

I have two Contender barrels chambered in AI calibers, (223 & 30-30) and just received a 25-06 AI rifle.

My choice on the Contenders was more from looking to get a little better velocity over the parent rounds from the shorter barrels.

With the 25-06, I already had the standard round chambered in a BDL which shoots absolutely awesome. I gave it to my daughter year before last for Christmas as we were always fighting over it anyway. I figured that since I was going to get another one I might as well get all I could from it. I planned on shooting nothing lighter than the 110gr bullet and possibly up to the 142gr Wildcat. I had a 28" 1-9 Broughton 5C barrel built and will hopefully get a few rounds through it this weekend. My main reason for going with the AI version on this one was to try and get longer case life and the added powder capacity for the bigger bullets. Hopefully it will allow me to run just a tad slower powders and still run at some good top end velocities even with the heavier bullets.

Besides I like the look of those sharp shouldered cases.

I have a 6mm AI. I wish I had got a longer barrel...the one I have was used 6mm PPC I think. The chamber was cut off and it was re-threaded and chambered. It was all free so I guess I can't complain too much. I got what I paid for though...

I let my mother use it to shoot a deer one year just to get some blood on it and I later shot a couple pasture puppies with it.

I doubt I am getting any better performance with it seeing how the barrel is only 20". It is on my list to be re-barreled once I get a P-17 Enfield boomer done. I am going to stay with 6AI because I have the dies already.

I shoot a 22-250Ackley and a 243Ackley. Like em both. In process of building my 2nd 243 Ackley. This one is going to be a bit heavier barreled and a little more scope than my 1st one.

I have a 280AI, M700 with a Hart barrel. I am very happy with the performance and accuracy. I'm shooting the 160 gr AB's.

JD338

Well lets see:

a 22-250 improved, a 6br improved, a 338 ultra mag improved, a 338 lapua improved, and a 6mm-220 russian improved otherwise known as a 6ppc.

They all work quite well with the 22-250 and the 338 lapua gaining the most from being improved.

06/AI with a 26 inch kreiger it pushes the 208s a tad over 2800fps, dont know why I like shooting the heavy bullets in it I just do.

.280AI with a 10 twist pacnor will only shoot the 140s but does so very well

243AI with a 7.5 twist pacnor shoots the 115s like mad. Oddly enough I use the same load for fire forming with the same accuracy. It is a little compressed in the straight 243, but would work. So I dont think I am getting much of a performance advantage being AI'd but I do hate to trim brass so all is good.

Yup them PPCs are basically AI'd also....gotta go shoot mine again tomorrow, first CF match of the year Sunday.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.