Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,117 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,041 48.2%

• Total voters
Another thing to forget, lose, drop, get dirty and cause problems. Not on a real hunting rifle if you cant figure out a drop plate stick to target shooting.

if you can remember your bolt/ammo/rifle/boots/underpants then surely you can manage to remember a mag?

if your not bright enough to remember all your kit then i would have to wonder as to your suitability of using weapons?

if your not bright enough to remember all your kit then i would have to wonder as to your suitability of using weapons?

Weapons???? This is where some of the preferances occure. How you feel and represent your rifle. If I am hunting I dont take a weapon. I prefer to take (as the title of the thread suggested) a "hunting rifle" fire arm or a gun. As we were taught by the NRA in range officer training classes. The anti gunners love it when we refer to our hunting rifles as weapons. It simply gives them more ammo to offer that they are items of war and not for civilians. Like I said before, I don't consider game an enemy.

Just food for thought.

Jeff

this is the second time you have picked me up on wording 'broz' there may be some language issues between us ?

any way you look at it a rifle is a weapon? when i did my range conducting officers courses we referred to ALL rifles/pistols/muzzle loaders as weapons so there is no confusion , a .308 hunting rifle is just as dangerous as any other rifle so to make a distinction between types of rifles is just silly?

in the uk we have really had the **** kicked out of us by the anti gun lobby ! mostly because we tried to appease them and compromise , make no mistake , they will not be happy until ALL weapons are out of the hands of civilians !

i also don't consider the game i hunt 'enemy' i thought i made that clear last time?

weapons/rifles/shooters/guns/etc are only as safe as the person behind it and my point is that a lot of people were claiming that a mag is just someting else to forget but so is the safety catch or your ammo etc so it's not really an argument to not have detachable mags but it does raise the question if you can forget your mag could you forget your safety drills?

i have no problem with whatever system suits you but i'm not going to sit by while somebody puts down the system i prefer

food for thought?

Sorry tackb. was not trying to pic or make this discussion personal. I was taught that a weapon was used to defend your self and a rifle / firarm was used for sports or hunting. May be a simple geographical verbage issue. I recently finished NRA cetrification as a rifle, shotgun and pistol safety instructor and also took a course to be a range officer at our local gun club. So all this is still strong in my mind. We were drilled not to refer to the firearm as a weapon. Just the oposite of what was taught in the armed service. But in the armed services it is indeed to defend.

It's all good here. Call it and use what you like just, as I will.

Jeff

I've carried rifles with dms, M-14s & M-16s, but all of my hunting rifles have been hfp bolt rifles. I'm thinking about a .338 Edge with a dm for my next addition to the stable.

To those who favor a single shot rifle and precision shooting you can keep that thought. I live and hunt in a place where most everyone that I know who has spent much time in the field has had a close encounter with grizzl(y)ies and it sometimes involves more than one bear. It can happen so fast that there isn't time to bring the rifle to your shoulder, would you want your life to depend on one shot from the hip? I know that most of the single shot proponents are not hunting in grizzly country when they make that statement and I'm not against the one shot one kill ideology but you can't plan for everything.

I've had to go into the alders after a wounded griz along a long time hunting partner and the original shooter. During that episode my partner, Interarms .458 Win. mag in tow, shot and hit the bear coming at him, the bear turned and we continued after it. After shooting he cycled the bolt but failed to notice the recoil had opened the hinged floor plate and dropped all the rounds out the bottom. When we got close to the wounded bear he was the only one who could see the bear and raised his rifle to fire only to hear a resounding "click". Fortunately the bear was so far gone that all it could do was raise its head giving me the opportunity to gain a vantage point so that I could put a 300 gr. Swift A-frame out of my .375 H&H into the bear to finish it off. The .458 was later modified so that the possibility of a hfp opening was gone.

I know that this site is about long range hunting and going into the brush after a wounded bear isn't about lrh but if you hunt around dangerous game you never know what might happen. Another friend and sometime hunting partner was going after a moose that he had spotted a long way from camp when he startled an apparent sleeping 8' interior grizzly while going through a waist high willow thicket. The bear had enough time to bluff charge once, turn and then come at him again as he was pulling his Rem. 700 BDL .300 Win. mag off his shoulder. His recollection of events later indicated that the rifle came off his shoulder smoothly and there were no hiccups with getting the rifle ready to fire but he still had no time to get the rifle to his shoulder. He shot from the hip and the bear turned after he fired the first shot, the second, third and forth shots were fired from the shoulder and the bear was finished. He reported that the forth shot may not have been needed but insurance is a good thing. The point of this being that most of my hunting is done above tree line and lends itself to long range shots because of a lack of cover but can still get into a situation where close encounters can happen.

I've got more tales of hunting in Alaska but that is for another time for now let me say that I think that I will try a dm on my next rifle but I'm keeping the .375 when I know that I'm going to be in the thick stuff.

Gus

DM is the way to go. Out in the field you need to be flexible and able to shoot to the conditions. A 225gr HPBT with a MV of 3000fps is not what you need if (on your first day of a 3 day hunt) you crest a ridge and your target only 300mts away.
:D

Most instances no- depending on the mag setup, I don't like it sticking out. When trying to spot and stalk, the balance point for carrying the rifle is right where the mag sticks out and it creates an awkward and uncomfortable carry position.

That said, I have a Win 88 in .308 lever action with sporter barrel and with a detachable mag that is almost flush that I love to carry. Either way works.

Unless you are engaging multiple threats, the DM really has no practical advantage. It's very tacticool though and from a stand point of convenience, only slightly has an edge. Any serious long range shooter should only need one or two shots. However, if you find yourself over run by rabbid prairie dogs and making emergency reloads, that's a different story I guess.
As far as changing ammo types in a hurry, hopefully we all know that two different bullet types rarely shoot in the same place. Personally, I hunt a LOT. And I've never found myself wanting a DM or kicking myself because that trophy Sasquach got away do to my lack of a chest rig full of spare mags. LoL Just saying...

is a bayonet lug a step to far? you just never know?

Not at all! In fact, I like the way you think. I'd say a bayonet lug, DBM, chest rig full of spare mags and a couple of hand grenades (along with body armor of course) should not only be highly suggested for any hunting situation, they should be mandatory for any long range hunter worth his salt. lol :D

Even hunting, I always carry a few spare DMs. If there is a Zombie uprising when we're out hunting or long range target shooting in the middle of nowhere, easier to fight my way back to the jeep with detatchable mags, even if they are only low cap.

Not at all! In fact, I like the way you think. I'd say a bayonet lug, DBM, chest rig full of spare mags and a couple of hand grenades (along with body armor of course) should not only be highly suggested for any hunting situation, they should be mandatory for any long range hunter worth his salt. lol :D

i think a cavalry sabre should also be worn ,,,,,, just in case?