Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Do you plan to buy a new truck in the next year? Vote YES or NO - If YES, which brand

• YES

Votes: 405 27.2%
  • NO

Votes: 796 53.5%
  • Chev/GMC

Votes: 193 13.0%
  • Dodge

Votes: 125 8.4%
  • Ford

Votes: 239 16.1%
  • Toyota

Votes: 150 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 26 1.7%

• Total voters
Have been considering a Power Wagon BUT when I went to price one out they do not have leather as an option!!! Oh well maybe the Limited F150 4x4 with the 6.2!

The 92 Extended cab short box 4.3 5speed silverodo 4x2 is getting a little long in the tooth (334,000)
Seams all they make are automatics anymore.
So...... my new truck is a 98 extended cab long box 2500HD 350 5 speed 4x4 with only 180,000 on it. $2000 + $200 for a set of good used tires on rims + $20 worth of door bushings leaves a lotta funds for supplies:D

Whatever I buy, will be from an American owned company.
Had a bad a few bad experiences with foreign rigs. Heres what happened to one of the foreign rigs I owned. I blew up 3 engines in 1 1/2 years! (2.2re was supposedly a good motor.....ya right, not in this case,....3 times in a row). All this for the supposed great mileage,.... 11-12 MPG wasnt too great afterall! Not to mention the last engine jumped out of time 3 times in 4 months. Pretty bad when you gotta wind up in 3rd gear just to do the speed limmit. Always hered how tough they were for a small pickup, but I was very dissapointed to say the least. Caught itself on fire once from a blown muffler, going down the highway on my way to work, mind you. Nothing but bad things to say about that pickup. Other experiences with the only other 2 foreign cars I ever owned werent near as bad, but none were what I would call good.
I may have blown a motor or two in my younger years from Chevy, but I was to blame, for hot rodding the snott out of it. Cant blame the motor nor the manufacturer for teenagers dirving like teenagers drive.
I currently own a 00' Jeep Wrangler, and a 07' Dodge Laramie, and will soon own another Chevy pickup(mid 90's), and a newer used, suv from Chevy, Dodge, or Ford, + a 47 Willyz pickup to fix up for mamma, my kids, and/or me to cruze in style for special occasions :D.
My Dodge hemi has got 22.6 mpg avg(best ever) from Bonney lake Wa., down I-5 toPortland, then over Mt. Hood to home in Central Oregon. I will continue to support American vehicles only after my experiences.
If you own foreign rigs, great, I hope you have continued success with them, and never experience what I have with them.
In fact if you own a foreign vehicle, I hope your experience with them is as good as Blipelts. He has one sweet lookin rig, and it sounds like its as dependable as well, I wish you many good years, and good times in your rig.
I am bummed tho, cause now I wont be cheering for my favorite Nascar driver (Kasey Kahne) next year while he's in the redbull toyota. Sooooo bummed I actually called one of his relitaves, and told him I wouldnt speak to him for a whole year after that, heheheheheehe. They all had a good laugh, and called me a dumb ***, hahahaha, he's gonna be back in an American car, Chevy, in 2012, but sponsorship being what it is, what other choice did he have. They said they would pass the msg along tho. I doubt he cares one way or the other, but I gotta flip him crap for it, cause he's my favorite driver.
I'm with ya on the foreign rigs. I had an 85 Toy4x4 that was bullet proof (it was the old non fuel injected 22R) but since, I've killed 2 Toys and am pretty close to a kill on my current 04 Frontier. This Nissan has been the worst truck I've ever owned. I've dumped well over $4000 into it in the last 20k miles, and the P O S is still in need of some help( I don't even rod the stupid thing). It kills me to look at my old 92 Chevy work truck that has had a total of about $100 put into it over the last 70k+ miles. I'm going back to Chevy the second this stupid Nissan is paid off, I might even try a newer Dodge. But if it doesn't have a made in USA sticker on it, you won't see it in my driveway!

Still driving the Chevy ZR2 with 176k. Starts at the flick of a wrist runs well, milage sucks but for 11 years old, I can't complain too much. Running to Colorado this year with it ----again. I'll run it till the wheels fall off.

Still driving the Chevy ZR2 with 176k. Starts at the flick of a wrist runs well, milage sucks but for 11 years old, I can't complain too much. Running to Colorado this year with it ----again. I'll run it till the wheels fall off.

I had a ZR-2 for three years till a woman ran into it setting off the air bags. Could not find another one at a decient price tag, so bought a full sized truck. That ZR-2 would go anywhere! Had the 3.72 drive train, and milage really sucked! Seventeen and a half no matter how or where you drove it!
gary

Just bought a Ford F-550 4x4 Diesel for a car hauling rig. Sure hate to see the posts from guys like MN Hunter....Want to sell my GM so I can buy a Tundra. My Grandfather was attacked by a bunch of gutless scum in a place called Pearl Harbor. He survived, and retired from a company called Ford Motor Company. I will not watch Bass Pro's next generation, stopped being a member of B.A.S.S. from which I was a member since I fished in San Diego as a teen, and young adult. If I was not an NHL addict, I would boycott them too, as they are sponsored by Toyota/Lexus? You guys keep telling yourselves that they are "made in the U.S." but I'll keep calling you all sell outs, because their bank accounts are in Japan. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, I'm the guy with the bumper sticker that says "how dare you fly my country's flag, on your forign car"? By the way, I am not, nor ever was a U.A.W. worker....Just proud of my family who were.:cool:

Doubt I will buy another new truck ever again. Let somebody else waste their money on a new one, I'll just buy used vehicles.

I won't be looking for a new truck for a while. I bought my 2002 F250 Super Duty 4x4 new several years ago. It's still running strong at 150,000 miles. I started running Mobile one in it after the 5,000 mark. It's not burning any oil and no other problems as of yet. I am hoping to get well over 200,000 miles out of this truck before I need to replace it.

I can't believe this thread is still going after 3 years. :)

Jim

Just bought a Ford F-550 4x4 Diesel for a car hauling rig. Sure hate to see the posts from guys like MN Hunter....Want to sell my GM so I can buy a Tundra. My Grandfather was attacked by a bunch of gutless scum in a place called Pearl Harbor. He survived, and retired from a company called Ford Motor Company. I will not watch Bass Pro's next generation, stopped being a member of B.A.S.S. from which I was a member since I fished in San Diego as a teen, and young adult. If I was not an NHL addict, I would boycott them too, as they are sponsored by Toyota/Lexus? You guys keep telling yourselves that they are "made in the U.S." but I'll keep calling you all sell outs, because their bank accounts are in Japan. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, I'm the guy with the bumper sticker that says "how dare you fly my country's flag, on your forign car"? By the way, I am not, nor ever was a U.A.W. worker....Just proud of my family who were.:cool:

Good post, but there's a lot more to what your saying than what you implied. There are actually two different contant notices on the invoice (some folks are so ashamed of them that they virtually hide them). The content notice that most folks see is the actual labor on assembly, and not parts content. A Toyota truck will have a much higher parts content than you might at first think, and a Ford half ton truck will have a lower parts content than you might at first think. The Parts content is what really counts, and you have to know how they manipulate that as well. Does this mean that a Toyota Tundra is a U.S. made truck by Federal spec? Yes and no. It's actually higher than the Ford in case you all didn't know. Ford outsources their forgings and electronics to China and Vietnam. Frames are all made by Dana; no matter what brand name. They all stamp their own bodies, and make their own engines (gas) and transmissions. The third members come from Dana most of the time (not sure about Toyota). But the parts inside their engines come from all over the place, and China is high on their list. (both brands). G.M. is very similar to Toyota in that they stamp their own bodies and Dana supplies the chassis. G.M. does cut their own pistons and cranks, and probably does 85% of the internals in the transmissions. Nobody does those fancey mag wheels, and much of them are made over seas. Nobody does glass anymore, but at least the big three have it done in country. Most of the fabric for the seats is woven in PA for the big three. Asia for the rest. G.M. still manufactures all it's seat frames. Where Chrysler and Ford get theirs done is anybody's guess. Toyotas come from Korea and China. Depending on the model number, the electronic throttles are either souced in the midwest or Asia for all brands except Toyota.

here's kinda what the so called made in USA really is:

* Ford outsources right at 70% of their parts. Of that 70%, roughly 65% is made over seas (The Toyota ad told the hard numbers)

* G.M. does about 73% of their parts in house, and this is down from slightly over 85%. Of the 27% outsourced parts, about a third of these are made over seas

* Chrysler is similar to Ford untill you get into the heavy duty models. A strait stick deisel truck will have a higher parts content than a deisel Ford. In the near future Dodge will start using the Asian automatic in it's heavy duty trucks. This is an Allison AT542 transmission built on license. In the next five years Dodge will use the Allison transmission built by Allison (not G.M. Powertrane). Of course the deisel used by Dodge is built entirely in Indiana.

* Toyota does not make a heavy duty truck, but their half tons run in the 50% to 60% content.

In roughly three years Allison will be selling automatics to whoever wants one. Right now they can't by contractual agreement with G.M. Dodge has alread said they will go with the Allison at the end of the agreement. Ford is still bound and determined to build a heady duty automatic. So far they're not very good. They'd be much better off with the ZF gear box or the AT542 from Asian. Engine wise the Dodge is by far the best (deisel), and they will be offering a half ton deisel very soon (25mpg) that has about 465 ft. lb. of torque. G.M. is on their third complete redesign of their deisel, and looks like they've got it right for a change (cost several billion to make it right). Ford killed Navstar, and decided to build their own engine. No automobile company over here has ever made a good deisel right out of the box, and this will end up being a very expensive lesson to learn. Their new engines are only seeing about 15mpg on the highway right now. Transmission shops love Ford when it comes to trucks I might add. Toyota has made some inquiries to Cummins over the last couple years, but Chrysler owns that engine lock stock & barrel.

There are some new tricks comming down that will had anywhere from three to five mpg on a truck (some are seeing eight). But even they are a solid two years out. And they are just now tooling the parts right now.

Someone posted that they have about 150K miles on a Ford deisel truck. You just got it really broken in! That motor should go about 300K+ miles. We have seen Cummins six's go well over 750K without anything being done to them other than the normal stuff. Mobile One is not the best oil to run in a deisel! Castroil is. We ran test on just about everykind of oil out there, and this was the best period. Also buy the best oil and fuel filters you can buy. Baldwin makes the best. I'll tell you all about engines on the dyno some other time
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.