Do you need to size brand new cases?

Not if they hold bullets & fit in the chamber.
You should still prep them though. At least trimming if needed, put a chamfer to mouths before seating, etc.
1st firing is 1st fire-forming brass to your chamber

You don't need to FL size them, but I always run new brass through a neck die to ensure the case mouths are round and true. If you don't have a neck die, you can still use a FL die to accomplish the same thing, just leave the die out of the press 2-3 full turns from contact with the shell holder.
A good chamfer also helps on the inside of the case mouth.

Good shooting!

Cheers.
gun)

You don't need to FL size them, but I always run new brass through a neck die to ensure the case mouths are round and true. If you don't have a neck die, you can still use a FL die to accomplish the same thing, just leave the die out of the press 2-3 full turns from contact with the shell holder.
A good chamfer also helps on the inside of the case mouth.

Good shooting!

Cheers.
gun)

+1

I Go one step further, After I size them, I trim them to length and turn the outside of the necks
just enough to clean them up and then weight sort them to look for culls.

This lets me start with "Good" brass and makes working up loads easier, saving time and components. It also assures good fire forming to my chamber and for 4 or 5 loads I don't have to
do anything to my brass

Just the way I do it.

J E CUSTOM

I've even gotten cases with dinged up necks from Lapua. I imagine that with visible damage to necks (presumably from bouncing around during shipping/handling) that there is invisible neck deformation at times. Sizing should eliminate this.

I always do just to make sure I have no case mouths out of round then I trim them all to length. One time while doing this I noticed one case went into my .243 die too easily. Turns out there was a 7mm-08 case in a bag of .243 brass.

No matter the brass brand, it's every bit as foreign to YOUR gun, until you've fire-formed it.
So initial sizing for new brass, that's not being formed into something else, is only needed -when actually needed(doesn't fit/won't hold a bullet).

All else is taken care of with initial preps, including expanding out any dings in necks.

My CZ rifles have match grade chambers and a FL sizing die barely sizes them down at all after firing. If the case is tight in the die when new, then it needs to be resized. If not, and it fits in the chamber, then load up the case and fireform it, provided it isn't over max trim length.

One thing you might need to do to new cases is to anneal them, if it hasn't already been done.

If new cases are oversize and need to be resized, then polishing them will allow them to be resized much easier, with reduced case lube and no chance of oil dents.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts