Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

• YES

Votes: 686 56.9%
  • NO

Votes: 520 43.1%

• Total voters
Are the sharps rifles considered muzzle loaders? i like the looks of them... Does the smokeless stink as much? Thinking about getting a bow and muzzleloader this year. Bought 82 acres of land and want to get a permit to keep the whitetail population down!!! I'm a real conservationist! Live in NY though.

I understand that the new Blackhorn 209 needs no cleaning between shots and you can use Hoppes #9 for cleanup instead of soapy water. I am not really sure if you need to clean at all!

Looks interesting.

edge.

+1 on BH 209. Using sabots I didn't need to clean between shots, 18 rounds. But I did notice a quick swab ever 6-8 shots helped a lot when using patched round ball, as it got a bit tight. Not nearly as bad a Pyro, though.

Easy to clean with normal gun chems.

I want to buy a good quality muzzleloader that easy to clean and doesn't have to be cleaned after 2-3 shots. Accuracy important, for whitetail, 0-200 yards only. Scope mountable but I don't think I will scope it so good iron sights or the ability to replace them with another type important. I may only buy one, so money is not that important. Reliability, looks like a classic and accuracy, simplicity, important.

Any recommendations welcome.

Ed

etisll40, smokeless does not smell much at all and requires virtually no cleaning either!

It is much cheaper to shoot too.

You could buy a used Savage, a new one, a custom smokeless, convert a centerfire with a custom barrel, etc. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

You can convert a 45-70 Handi rifle to ML for about $125 over the cost of the rifle which makes a very light platform.
Some States do allow single shot rifles to be used during ML season but I do not think that NY is one of them.

If you are interested in converting a rifle or for loads, etc I would recommend Doug's.
Doug's Message Boards - Savage/Smokeless Muzzleloading

edge.

Are the sharps rifles considered muzzle loaders? i like the looks of them... Does the smokeless stink as much? Thinking about getting a bow and muzzleloader this year. Bought 82 acres of land and want to get a permit to keep the whitetail population down!!! I'm a real conservationist! Live in NY though.

The 1873 Model is not considered a ML(at least in most the states I have hunted) because of the open breech. Too bad, I shoot them, and like them as well. I suppose if someone modified one with a screw in breech plug similar to the TC it would be OK. Loading would then have to be done from the muzzle.

Great forum, you'll make a muzzleloader out of me soon.

Love to hunt and shoot.

I like being like our forefathers.

A modern one! ... maybe, I may get a musket too.

The Blackhorn 209 doesn't come in pellets but it is great stuff. I shot 60 rounds last fall without cleaning it. Cleaned up very easy with regular cleaning product ( I think I used 2 n 1 bore solvent? ). I did come back with shotgun solvent to remove the plastic fouling left by the sabots. I can't recommend it more highly. I gave away four boxes of Triple Seven as I will never use it again. Also , if you use the blackhorn you need regular shotgun primers not black powder type.

I also use a Savage 10ML-ll with a 300gr Remington bullet in a Black Crushed Rib Harvester sabot. 69 gr of IMR4198 powder and a Winchester 209 primer. I have a Leopold Ultimate Slam scope one shot one deer. Never missed one yet with one shot. gun)

I use both .45 and a .50 cal. My .45 is a CVA Optima I shoot 100 gr of 777 pellets pushing a 170 grain dead center saboted long range bullet. It's a nail driver a 200+ yrds. My .50 is an old CVA inline I have had for years. I also load it with 100 Grains of 777 pellets. I shoot 200 Grn Barnes ballistic tips. I shoots very tight groups @ 100+ yds. I use it mainly for when I'm stalking or scouting because it's so light. My Optima Ways a ton and I use it mainly in a stand or when I really need long range capabilities. Black powder puts me in the woods with a gun. I jump at any chance to be in the woods with a gun.

Hello, I am new here and love the muzzleloading sport. I am currently an Omega, Blackhorn 209, Parker jacketed hydra con 300 grain hunter. I am also a big fan of the match hunter 300 and 325 grain bullet as well. I just topped the Omega w/ another scope to try out for curiosity reasons, the redfield revolution 3x9x40 and I am very impressed. Redfield is back once again. I was experimenting before this scope w/ the Toby Bridges Hi-Lux Leatherwood scope for awhile and even though the clarity was nice, held zero and all, the eye relief for me was 3.25 and I scoped the lashes of my eye to close for comfort too many times. I never really connected but just to short of eye relief for me. Now the redfield is at 4" all the time and at any power. 5 star rating and for obvious reasons. Anyways, thanks for being apart of a nice site and I hope to hear more from you muzzleloader fanatics. Thanks alot.

I dont hunt smokeless but have always been intrested in the savage. I do know the savage is a strong constructed firearm that will spit out some fast bullets, much faster than any other muzzleloader. Well, they do have the ultimate muzzleloader and a few other types. The savage to my knowledge is a fan of the Barnes Original 300 grain. You take the two and sight it in and that is a nice set up. Oneday I may look into hunting smokeless myself. I am not against it thats for sure. I guess i am just satisfied right now at 1900 f.p.s. Thanks for asking