Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

• YES

Votes: 686 56.9%
  • NO

Votes: 520 43.1%

• Total voters
Super 91 how do you prepare the bullets? Resize and knurl?

edge.

No prep needed at all. The bullets are .452 and the bore is .451. They ever so slightly engrave on the way down, and fully obdurate into the rifling when fired. Makes for a very accurate bullet as it is fairly centered in the bore when seated.

My smokepole of choice is a TC Encore 209X50. Unfortunately,I didn't draw a muzzleloader tag this year. The state of Nevada doesn't make it easy to hunt with a smokepole either.....open sights only....
Chas

Last edited:
I use a CVA Wolf muzzleloader in .50 cal. Mine is a cheaper model, but it shoots very well. I use three Triple Seven pellets under a 295 grain Power Belt bullet.

At shorter ranges, it almost appears to pick a whitetail up and throw it on it's side....lol. That big .50 cal bullet makes a serious impact.

Have hunted with both caplock and in-line. In caplocks used for primative hunting I use a Lyman Great Plains in 50 cal. Rifling is 1 in 60" (about perfect for round bal, I use .498" that I cast myself) with either 100 grs(by volume) of Pyrodex Select or 90grs (by volume) of Pyrodex P (like FFFg). 100grs is most accurate in my Lyman and perfect for silloutes at 200 yrds. Rather slow ignition for hunting but have killed two elk with this load. (both under 100yrds. 90 grns of P better hunting load killed numerous mule deer with this load. I have glass bedded the Lyman.

Inline is stainless Thompson Firehawk and a load of 80 grs of select and a 2-7 scope lets it shoot like a highpower. I use .45cal SWC 200 gr bullets with black plastic sabot.

I prefer the lyman and made it from a kit purchased from Midsouth.

Also have a thompson Senaca in .45 cal and a Pedersole full stock in .45 cal and a Lyman Plains pistol (round ball and 50 grs of Pyrodex P).

Yes! I love shooting my muzzleloaders almost as much as my rifles. My brother and I even host an annual sidelock/open sight muzzleloader competition. My comp. rifle is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter .50 with target sights that shoots 2" groups @ 100yds with Lee R.E.A.L. 250gr cast bullets. Just for kicks, I often use my scoped omega in rifle season.

I build and hunt with hand made traditional Flintlock longrifles. I think the new modern muzzleloaders have taken away from what the original intent of hunting with muzzleloaders. We got muzzleloader seasons because some of us wanted to hunt the way our forefathers did and excepted the limitations. My longest kill was on an Elk at 175 yards with a 54 round ball. I have killed more deer with my flintlocks than modern rifles. I only hunt turkey's with a flintlock 10g or 28g. I also hunt doves and rabbits with my 28g or 20g flintlock. Hunt squirrels either with my 40cal. flintlock or one of my other flintlock shotguns. I have killed deer and wild hogs with my 54 flintlock pistol. I really do hunt with muzzleloaders the traditional way.
100_0568.jpg

You certainly can't beat that! You are a dying breed my friend. I would do more here locally but I don't have anyone who knows much of anything about the "old" way. But I think it's great to do it that way.

Good for you, I live many miles from where I hunt and to get there on horseback would take all the time I have for hunting.

Most folks these days use 4x4 vehicles or ATV's to go hunting...or at least to drive to their hunting properties.

For those that "really" do it the old way without the modern conveniences I will tip my hat.

edge.

I hunt with centerfire rifles but when it comes to muzzleloaders I keep it primitive and traditional. Alot of my friends and I like to dress the part. On my western hunts we do use horses and pack in. We go back in time and hunt like old Mt. men and Longhunters. We make most of our stuff. Guns, Bags, powder horns, ect. I am a blacksmith by trade and can forge knifes tomahawks and parts for my flintlocks. I have even maded my own dugout canoe and made a 200 mile trip on a wild river here in Tennessee to celebrate Tennessee's Bicentenniale, at a primitive encampment. We hunted squirrels and fished for a lot of our food. Yes, I do take primitive muzzleloading seriously.
100_1384.jpg

100_0084-1.jpg

Shot my first buck when I was a kid with a 50 cal. Hawken rifle I made. I grew up in the crap state of New Jersey that didn't allow rifles and a shotgun could only be used with buckshot which is useless.(now I live n the crap state of Massachusetts which is as bad, but they do allow slug guns). Shot most of my eastern deer with muzzleloaders. Still use a Virginia 1850's style flintlock for local hunting. It's 50 cal, 40" barrel that shoots a .490 patched roundball with 3F Goex into 3" at 100 yards. Lock time is tuned to be just about indistigusable from a percussion and its dead reliable. A far cry from shooting deer at 1000 yards with my Cooper, but just as much fun.