Do You Hunt Ducks or Geese?

• YES

Votes: 588 47.6%
  • NO

Votes: 648 52.4%

• Total voters
yep ducks and Canada geese the geese are a real challenge I got 17 the other day what a buzz gun)

Yep, and still love it. First started freezing my butt of in a blind with my dad 64 years ago. Been hunting upland birds and waterfowl with the same gun for 60 years now, a Winchester Mod. 12-20ga. that I got for my 9th birthday. It has very little blue left on it but it still puts em down. Rifles and pistols are great but there is nothing like watching a flight of birds coming into the dekes or having a pheasant flush from under your feet.

I don't use blinds or dec.s... I puddle jump 'em or pass shoot between two bodies of water, etc.. Most ducks/ geese I get are actually gotten while knocking off pheasants so I have to keep both lead and steel. Since you can't shoot the wet ones with lead anymore it can get interesting loosing the lead in time to jump a puddle before they fly off.
Shooting birds is good practice for shooting running deer; deflection shooting is all the same and I don't wait for standing critters.

We start Sept. 1 and run into Feb. here. Stop for deer season and start again right after that! The guys I hunt with are of the mind that if we have a season for it, we are hunting it. We even burn up thousands of rounds every year on crows. It is almost a right of passage come Sept. 1, geese in the morning, doves in the evening. Goes right into duck and upland birds then. Summer is pigeons ,groundhogs, and lots of coyotes in the late winter. Love being in Pennsylvania, You can hunt something must any day of the year. Cant hunt game on Sundays but crows, fox and coyotes are legal!!!!

NO...because of the FEDERAL stamp,...I don't voluntarily pay anything to the fed.s,but I love waterfowl and being married into a couple of Cajun clans,I can always get duck/goose to eat:D

Did you know that something like 98% of the cost of a duck stamp goes to habitat purchases in the form of wetlands. Approx $700 million has been raised by the sale of these stamps since the 30's. Next time you take some birds from yer relatives, tell them thanks and tell them thanks for buying these stamps and supporting the ducks...

It's a good time on the Ct shoreline freezing your butt off, hoping that the sky rats fly close enough for a shot. After a day on the island with my cousin, we put the guns and equipment away and bring on the cocktails!

I guess it depends on where u live. I hunt them the old way, the way my grandfather did with no decoys or calls and no blinds. im surrounded by duck clubs and some days they do better. I just don't think I would do it if I had to pay and sit in a blind all day. Most of my relatives have sold out to clubs. I know my grandfather would be disappointed and wonder why they don't hunt anymore. Me and my brother call it run and gun. We use ditch banks levies, anything to our advantage. Like many of you have said, I cant eat them all so some days I just let them fly over and tell my brother I was looking for callers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.