Do you have an ACRONYM before a LRH shot

Alan Griffith

Hope I'm asking this question in the correct forum. Twice now, in the last month I go through all the necessary steps to take a long range shot and I simply forget to crank the turrets.:(

This leads to quite a large miss. I did it again at 708 yds yesterday. It took me a moment to puzzle through why I missed since I was dead steady and had just centered the 10" LV steel plate at 354 yds. When I realized what happened, I proceeded to nail the plate w/ the next shot.:D

Anyone have an ACRONYM to help me remember necessary steps before the shot?

I have only have one for after doing what you did.

IBDIDIA

"I'll Be Damed I Did It Again":rolleyes:

I'm just making the transition from Hold over w/Mil Dot to clicking. Last time at the range my first shots # my zero range were way down in the dirt.:confused::confused:

After some figuring I learned that I set my zero one full turn low. Cranked'er up and things were spot on.:rolleyes:

What I've done is make a turret cover calibrated in yards. A quick glance tell me if I match the reading on the LRF.

I think its just growing pains that we'er suffereing.;)

"TTDTD" especially for you Alan a custom ACRONYM.....TURN THE DARN TURRETS DUMMY!

All in FUN! thry this one "TYT"........take your time!

Someones signature says "RANGE IT CLICK IT SHOOT IT!" That might help!

Last edited:
Hope I'm asking this question in the correct forum. Twice now, in the last month I go through all the necessary steps to take a long range shot and I simply forget to crank the turrets.:(

This leads to quite a large miss. I did it again at 708 yds yesterday. It took me a moment to puzzle through why I missed since I was dead steady and had just centered the 10" LV steel plate at 354 yds. When I realized what happened, I proceeded to nail the plate w/ the next shot.:D

Anyone have an ACRONYM to help me remember necessary steps before the shot?

list your steps, we'll make one for you.

BREATH
RELAX
AIM
STOP
SQUEEZE

SLACK, boy, I said "SLACK"! Take up the slack and then SQUEEZE. That is the only way to get a chicken

fleg3.jpg

foghorn_henery.jpg

Alan,

I know the conventional wisdom will tell you that you should dial up for each shot but to be honest, for alot of shooters and hunters, using a ballistic reticle for hold over is a much better system depending on the range you will be shooting and the chamber of your rifle.

Let me explain. For me personally, it is very unnatural for me to dial up for each shot. As such, for big game hunting I do not do it at all. I feel for big game hunting you can be plenty accurate using a ballistic reticle for hold over without ever touching your turrets and thus never taking the chance of loosing your zero in the field or missing your shot because you forgot the clicks.

With my rifles, most of them Allen Magnums, I can sight most of them to impact 2" to 2.5" high at 100 yards and then using a standard mil dot reticle, I have reference hold points from the muzzle to 1000 yards without ever toughing the adjustments.

Last year during big game season I took animals at 305 yards, 588 yards, 605 yards, 645 yards, 728 yards and 850 yards and never once touched my adjustments.

THis works very well with some range practice, a good knowledge of your rifles trajectory and a good scope and rifle.

Limtis to this is range, for over 1000 yard shooting or hunting, it really does not work well to use a ballistic reticle simple because the window of ranges you can cover with the reticle really narrows once the range gets past 1000 yards.

A 10" target is in serious danger using a ballistic reticle on a properly set up rifle out to 1000 yards, which covers pretty much all big game species.

If you find dialing up for your shots unnatural, I would recommend you give a ballistic reticle a try. If your interested I can offer you what scopes I use for more detail. If not, remember those clicks and even more important, remember to return to zero after the shot!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

You guys crack me up!

Kirby,

I should be heading to the Wrangells on 29 August. No time to start fresh with another scope and a new regime of practice. I am using the Mk4 4.5-14x50 w/ TMR reticle. Though w/ EXBAL, I should be able to figure out where my hash marks will get me to hit out at longer ranges.

It's just that I really want to crank in my shot if time permits.

I do have a 100 zero for most purposes but I will set my zero for 292 yds which gives me 4" up and 4" down for Max PBR of 343 yds. Anything beyond that and I'll crank.

Thanks,

I don't know if it's here or another forum, but one of the guys signs off with.

See It
Range It
*Click It*
Dump It
Recover It (I added this last one)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts