Do I really need a 300 WM?

Been following the thread and can't help but chime in.

If you are anything like me, you may (that's a big may) get one shot a year at an elk. What to do the rest of the year? Practice. gun)

I would get the 308 and if the future requires it, get a 300 WM too. Then you will have a great varmint gun (.243), a great long range practice and mid range big game rifle (.308) and a big dog 300 WM for long range shots at elk and such. I find it very hard to do everything with one rifle. Especially if you practice, target shoot, and hunt too.

Good luck.

I will be honest...you stated it perfectly. That is very true, and I would love to get more practice in.

Now...would you choose the 30-06 over the .308 for the larger selection of bullet grains you can use? I feel like the 30-06 would be more versatile and still be a good target shooting rifle. Or would you still stick with the .308?

I've said this over and over again. Shoot the .308 with moderate bc bullets at a slow speed. Embrace the rainbow trajectory and bad wind drift nd it will make you a better shooter with your lazer beam elk rifle. Even better go out in a 10 mph wind and shoot a .22lr at 200 yards. There's no hiding behind those poor ballistics.

Yea at this point I might as well throw all the calibers in a hat and pick one and go with it haha...everyone has so many different opinions, which is very understandable. I may be better off with a .308 or .30-06 and then getting the 300WM in a year or so if I feel the need. Many different options, and who knows what I will go with at this point. I appreciate all the help thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be honest...you stated it perfectly. That is very true, and I would love to get more practice in.

Now...would you choose the 30-06 over the .308 for the larger selection of bullet grains you can use? I feel like the 30-06 would be more versatile and still be a good target shooting rifle. Or would you still stick with the .308?

The 308 is kind of the standard for lots of things. If you get into F-class shooting there is division that only allows the 308 and .223. That allows shooters to compete head on with basically the same caliber rifle and shooting skills then become paramount.

There lots of factory match grade ammo available for the 308 at moderate prices. Documented match grade accurate loads abount for the 308. The barrel last for almost forever. The 308 is probably more inherently accurate than the 30-06 (folks debate this). For a combination of target, long range practice and hunting, I would get the 308. If it was hunting only, I would get the 30-06. The elk would probably not know the difference if hit with the 308 or 30-06. Like they say it's all about shot placement and the more and cheaper you can practice, the more accurate you will be. Plus, in the future, the 308 and 300 WM could be backups for each other. I don't even want to think about the times I have had a rifle unshootable for some reason.

This thread is kind of like, "What do you want on your Pizza?"

In defense of the 300 WinMag and target shooting, the 1000 yard target shooters have been using the 300 WinMag for years for long range target work. +1 for the 300 WinMag.

If the object is F Class type target practice then why not the 223/556 cartridge? Cheaper target ammo is not available in any other caliber. The 77gr to 80gr bullets have good ballistics and documentation to match. 223 for practice and 300 WinMag to hunt.

One size fits every purpose cartridges are not as realistic today. But a two gun battery is a good start. Target/ practice and a long range/ hunting rig. A good combination is 223/300 Winmag.

KB

Do I really need a 300 WM for longer shots on elk (300+ yards)?

As previously noted, need no, want yes. However, there will be a time that the "want" will become the "need" ... and only you can make that decision. This LRH, with a 7MM Rem Mag or the .300 Win Mag (my personal preference), you have yourself a potential 1000 yard elk gun in due time. lightbulb

I have a .243 and want something for elk and target shooting to better myself as a shooter. The more I think about it...do I really have the skill to take an elk at 500+ yards? I have never even shot a target past 400 yards. Would I be better off with a .270, .308, maybe a 7 MAG?.

Practice, practice, practice! Mostly with .243 and whichever chambering you decide on ... again, my preference is the .300 Win Mag.

The recoil of the 300 WM may not be worth the ability for long range hunting that the 300 WM gives me, especially if I want to target shoot a decent amount.

There are plenty of choices out there for an effective muzzle brake and recoil pads to help reduce the recoil down to a more manageable felt recoil. I'm not recoil sensitive and shot my .300 Win Mags for many years without muzzle brake.

Felt recoil of my braked .300 Win Mag are comparable to that of .308 Win or better. IMHO, besides recoil reduction, the ability to see the impact on your target is priceless. :cool:

What are your guys' thoughts...

Why complicate it? Pick one and move on, it's not going to be your last gun purchase, there you've been warned. :D

A .243 and 7MM Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag (my personal preference) is a formidable target/hunting combination. lightbulbgun)

CC268- I am a 30-06 guy. however there is a lot more good target type ammo available for the 308.

I know the 300 WM with a muzzle brake wouldn't be bad at all...I just don't know if I want to deal with the muzzle brake...I would probably rather by the .308 and 30-06 and once I have more shooting time buy a 300 win mag...that seems like a fairly reasonable approach to me.

The 300WM was the first rifle I had, great all round cartridge you can load it for varmint to big game, and as for running a muzzle-brake I always wear hearing protection so no problems their.

I know the 300 WM with a muzzle brake wouldn't be bad at all...I just don't know if I want to deal with the muzzle brake...I would probably rather by the .308 and 30-06 and once I have more shooting time buy a 300 win mag...that seems like a fairly reasonable approach to me.
this seems like a very reasonable approach to me also

Might want to look in to making your .243 a switch barrel with a .308. For the price of a new gun and scope you could easily get that done by a gunsmith. Unless you just NEED another gun :)

Like I said ...

Why complicate it? Pick one and move on, it's not going to be your last gun purchase, there you've been warned. :D

A .243 and 7MM Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag (my personal preference) is a formidable target/hunting combination. lightbulbgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts