Do I need an MOA ramp mount?

rhouser

I am going to put a SIII LRMD on my Remington PSS 300 RUM. I want 1100. Are people "ramping" this scope on the RUM. I have heard I would need 20 MOA for a .308, any guidence on the RUM? thanks rc

Iwould certainly put a ramped base if it were mine. I have 4 300 RUM and I always put at least a 20 MOA base if I am mounting a Tactical scope on them

What is the minimum zero (approximately) that 20 MOA will let me use without bottoming out? Again this is a 6X24 SIII LRMD. thanks rc

How much adjustment does your scope have? I am assuming that it is a tactical style with plenty of adjustment.

Total advertised adjustment on the scope is 100 clicks total, +/- 50 from neutral.

+20 MOA ramp should/could/would move the neutral down to about the bottom of the adjustment to zero at 100. By pure math it would seem to me that I would be about 20 clicks north of bottomed out at a 100 yard zero with a 20 MOA up ramp. This would then give me 80 up which would be perfect. Because of Brother Murphy, I never want to lose the ablility to make the 60 yard shot when needed (maybe that's why the mil dots are on the upper half of the retical too).

Is anybody shooting a Rum with a Sightron in the 700 to 1100 distances? How are you set up?

I won't even have the scope till Thursday. (It is on the way cross country now). This is a best kind of dilemma to have. Good Rifle, New Scope, and a 1000 yard range.

Last edited:
I have been contemplating the same thing, but was not sure if a 20moa rail would work or if I needed to move up to a 40moa rail on my 300RUM sendero, I have the same sightron scope.

Ok, for lack of a canned answer, will people review the following logic.

1. Mount my scope and set the zero at 100 yards/meters.
2. Count the down clicks from the 100 yard zero till it bottoms out.
3. Divide the clicks by 4.
4. This will be the approximate max MOA at 100 available for "ramping" and still allow a zero'd crosshair at 100.

Why am I obsessed with being able to achieve a zero at 100? I don't know except I have been using this as a standard for 45 years.

thanks rc

rhouser, after my last post I did a little more research as this is the scope I am saving to buy and 25 MOA IMHO would be useless for a long range scope....going by some of the reviews I'm gonna say it is indeed 100 MOA, which for you and me will be a good thing.:D

Try a google on "sightron siii 6-24x50 review", or I guess you'll know for sure tomorrow. :)

That scope has 100 MOA of adjustment, give or take a couple. Your plan to zero at 100 and then check the available adjustment is the way to do it if you are worried about running out of adjustment for a 100 yard zero with a sloped base.

Wow, I have my scope in hand and just went to bottom and started counting. I either jumped count of this has more than 400 clicks of up (thats where I stopped and I don't think I jumped count).

I bought the Badger 20 MOA Steel ramp for my 300 rum. Now, to the ranges thanks rc

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.