Do I need a 20MOA base?

derrelw

I have a Savage 11FCNS in .260 Remington w/ a Douglas XX barrel and a "no MOA" picatinny rail mounted to the reciever. I just bought a Sightron S3 6-24X50 MOA-2 scope and I want to use the combo to reach out to 1000 yards. Would it be wise to get a 20MOA rail or will the flat rail be ok? The S3 has 100MOA of adjustment.

I have a Savage 11FCNS in .260 Remington w/ a Douglas XX barrel and a "no MOA" picatinny rail mounted to the reciever. I just bought a Sightron S3 6-24X50 MOA-2 scope and I want to use the combo to reach out to 1000 yards. Would it be wise to get a 20MOA rail or will the flat rail be ok? The S3 has 100MOA of adjustment.

If your scope has 100 internal MOA of elevation you should end up with 50 up and 50 down zeroed at 100 in a perfect world. A 1000 yard shot on average with most good long range rigs will require 20 to 25 moa depending on your load and bullet. So the short answer is you will have plenty to reach 1000 with your zero cant rail.

jeff

Good thing about Sightrons is the amount of adjustment they have, you will be good to go to a 1000yds with your current setup.

and I will be the stick in the mud that says a 20 degree base isn't going to hurt you. At the upper range of that scope you are going to be knocking on the back door of optical limits. It would appear you have enough (+50 moa) half the 100 moa range, as I read it, but a 20 degree rail will keep you closer to mechanical zero.

Sightron is good stuff with a good reputation, I don't care what it is, anytime you are keeping a scope closer to its mechanical limits it is going to be better for it. I say if 1000 is in your future it is a relatively cheap investment. I went back and forth over this myself recently. I picked up a Larue 20 degree for $75.00 -

I would also recommend a 20 MOA scope base even though you will probably have enough elevation to get to 1K. I'd recommend one simply to keep the optics looking through as close to the center as possible, and a 20 MOA base isn't going to hurt your 100 yd zero unless something else is severely jacked up.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.