Do barnes bullets tend to shoot slower?

Short answer no.

There are of course many variables.

Long answer: It depends on seating depth and bullet choice. IMO/IME You should be shooting a lighter bullet for caliber when using copper based bullets. You want to maintain the same aspect ration, that is length to diameter as the jacketed bullet of choice.

That could/should result in be going faster with the same available powder capacity.

I agree with above. I have played around with same bullet weights barnes and speer bullets in the blackout. Both used same charge, speer was 2260 avg and barnes was 2250 avg. Would love to know about longer bullets, but I expect they will be similiar.

Barnes mono bullets are longer for the weight than a lead core bullet, if they didn't have the bands the bearing surface (ie friction) would be greater. The bands seems to help reduce that though, in general so far in my experience they are a slight bit slower. I'm working up a 168gr TTSX in 30-06 right now, 165gr sierra SPBTs run in the 2830-2850fps range for me depending on which manufacturer's case. The 168gr TTXS in running about 2800-2820range.

Comparing my 139/140gr lead loads in my 7mm-08 vs. the 145gr LRX I'm seeing more like 50-70fps speed reduction.

Just wondering due to there lower BC. It would seem that the groves in the bullet would catch air and shoot slower.

Just wondering due to there lower BC. It would seem that the groves in the bullet would catch air and shoot slower.

That would be a trajectory issue not a muzzle velocity issue. BC doesn't make things shoot slower out of the barrel it makes them slow faster in the air.

Also their BC isn't terribly different, my opinion. Looking at the 168gr 30cal ttsx they list .470, Berger is .473 and .496 for their two 168gr bullets. Most the other tipped bullets are in the .47-.49 range. Look things up and run the numbers.

This assumes you desire the type of terminal performance a barnes bullet has, otherwise lots of other bullets to consider too if you're focused on BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.