DMLS...

THEIS

Hello,

Just curious as to if any of the machinist onboard have messed with DMLS for firearm parts and/or components.

Thank you,
THEIS

I would love to.

There are now services that will do the Direct Metal Laser Sintering 3D printing.

I just have to learn some of the newer modeling programs.

My brain is highly programmed for material removal machining. Material deposition machining is a learning process. One I look forward to.

Wish I had information for you.

Hello Fred,
I don't see you having any problem adding another "brain program" :)
I am actually thinking of putting a receiver body done with titanium DMLS into the T&E pipeline. Would have to be done with the 20 micron machine so I could assure it would have fully dense and homogenous product.

EDITED TO ADD:
Tronrun Engineering in Norway has a 3D printed Titanium suppressor :)
http://www.tronrud.no/en/products/standard-products/te-titan-suppressor

THEIS

Last edited:
No additive manufacturing for me, just the taking away stuff. It'd be nice to get some equipment but we're looking at new CNC's to replace some aging Mazaks. Lately I've been wishing for the time to make a few projects I've had on the back burner for months... Trying to find time to reload and shoot had been hard enough with how busy we are.

DMLS Titanium receiver done on 20 Microns is interesting. I'm interested in the stretch/yield/burst characteristics. All the sintered products I am exposed to on a regular bases, carbide or tungsten/carbide lathe tooling does not have much stretch, bend to yield leeway. That leads me to believe the burst point would be abrupt. Same as the break/chip point on the tooling. Great for large stiff boring bars but of you crash it is catastrophic.

When I hear 20 micron all my brain says is WOW, Lots of room to play! I'm not sure how a printed receiver would hold up. As long as there wasn't air pockets and it went through the proper hardening and stress relief without warping all to **** I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I wish we had an EDM in our shop... I would definitely be machining a receiver in my home shop if I could EDM the raceways.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.