DIY Targets?

JP100

Hey guys
Im new to archery(got my bow about 2 months ago) and cant afford a fancy target to shoot at. I have been using old wheat sacks filled with foam and woolen blankets which works really well for field tips.

Any one else using DIY target?

Hey guys
Im new to archery(got my bow about 2 months ago) and cant afford a fancy target to shoot at. I have been using old wheat sacks filled with foam and woolen blankets which works really well for field tips.

Any one else using DIY target?

When I was doing a lot of shooting, I went to the local grocery store where they recycled cardboard
boxes, and managed to talk the manager into letting me use one of the compressed bundles until it
got shot up and then I would bring it back and trade it for another good one. All it cost me was lunch every time I picked up a new target/Bundle.

As long as it did not get wet and the cord holding the bundle together did not get cut it worked very well with field Tips.(If it gets wet it will take a winch truck to move it). I could have bought a bundle
from him at the same price he got at the re cycle yard, but I did not want to fool with disposal and re cycle seemed like a better plan anyway.

J E CUSTOM

I'm interested in making an economical target to.
I was thinking that if I could get my hands on that "self healing" foam they use on 3D targets I could put something together.
Anyone else got any other ideas?
James:cool:

E1157B73-14CC-425C-88D9-11C59140BC3C.png
I once made a target similar to what Je Custom did. Instead I gathered cardboard and sandwiched it between two 2x12s about 3 feet long with all thread through the ends. Use nuts and washers and tighten it up until your satisfied it will stop an arrow. Cost next to nothing and took very little time. Pretty much just like this but mine was smaller for portability. The cardboard ended up not straight and flat on the face so I used a sawzall with a long blade to cut it all.

While growing up dads buddy had an archery shop he took 1/2 inch insulation board 4x8 sheets and cut them length ways and made bow targets worked great. We shot those things for roughly 6-7 years before we would have to shuffle the layers around to much .
Try carpet stores and see about collecting their old samples they make a decent target also my cousin done that . Same principle as pictured above

Been there seen it tried everything and this is the bitter truth. For field point use get yourself as big a card board box as you can find stuff it full of rags and your GTG shooting FP for good. When you start to shoot out the front of the box just tape a new piece of cardboard over it and your back in business. I found and use a 3' square box that works perfectly.

Fixed blade BH's are a different story. Your truly good options DIY are rather limited. if you live near a factory that makes foam padding you can go to them like I did and obtain a roll of foam padding large enough to make a 4' long 3' high and 3' deep target.

Much to my complete disappointment that factory has since changed plant managers and they will no longer sell small amounts of foam padding to private individuals like myself.

There are a multitude of places on line you can either buy sheets of foam padding to make your own DIY target or make layered or solid foam targets suitable for BH use but most are not very affordable and the ones that are aren't very durable.

If you can find a carpet store willing to let you have the foam padding it has thrown out it could work well but beware it will likely be full of hundreds of staples that can play havoc with carbon arrows and FB/BH's. Also if you can find a carpet store willing to let you have a several hundred 2'x2' squares of commercial carpet that is meant to be removed and replaced it has in their dumpster it also could be used to make a killer FP target, but i don't think it would work to well with FB/BH's.

The places that sell expanding foam that works well for shooting fixed blade BH's into is VERY expensive (I've checked MANY and your're talking $200-$300++ to make one not very large target) to the point it's actually IMHO and budget quite cost prohibitive considering how quickly they wear out and if ANYONE reading this has found a source for affordable expanding foam suitable for FB/BH target construction please share it with the rest of us.

The best option I have found for a foam target suitable for shooting FB/BH's into are called Blob targets, but the larger ones (3'x3' or larger) are so God awful heavy (200lbs+) their shipping cost is a deal breaker and for me, but they do sell smaller targets that can be shipped.

If you try to use sheets of building insulation it will end up making a considerable mess in your yard, it aint cheep and will wear out VERY quickly, and cans of spray foam like "Great Stuff" just doesn't work well enough again IMHO. But I have been kicking around the thought of mixing in shredded paper with great stuff to try to give it enough durability to work but haven't tried it yet. Basically all the alternatives to foam suitable for FB/BH's from staked card board, foam insulation, or expanding insulating foam simply don't work all that well and begin to fail after a very low number of shots.

One alternative I have heard people try that has worked decently is large amounts of scrap plastic wrap and or bubble wrap used in packaging large items for shipping. If you can get your hands on a very large quantity sufficient enough of either for free from a business's waste and compress it between sheets of plywood with enough force you could make a workable FB/BH target.

But besides the layered foam targets available on line or Blob Targets your options for affordable suitable FB/BH targets is quite limited and bottom line is even the best (which are also again IMHO VERY expensive) OTC commercially manufactured FB/BH targets simply aren't going to stand up to hard use and extensive hits from FB/BH's, and for me in my opinion when I factor in cost VS how long they last they ( best made OTC foam FB/BH targets) are simply not worth their considerable cost.

If anyone knows of a source of foam durable enough to make a killer FB/BH foam target from that will last for at least two possibly three seasons of use that is also affordable enough to make a 3'x3' target that costs under $150 please by all means share it.

For a cheap easy transported virtually indestructible FP archery target IMHO a huge box stuffed tightly full of rags is simply unbeatable. I have two 3'x3' heavy duty cardboard boxes that have taken 1000's of FP tipped arrows and all I do is replace the worn out card board and I'm back shooting in minuets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.