DIY- Pool Table?

10 Ringer

So I didn't see a diy sub forum, so here goes. I am thinking about building a pool table for my youth group at church, and reason being I think it may be the cheapest way (and it's fun to diy!:D) . So I need some opinions/ideas for it, and I was thinking a piece of Advantech for the top and pvc pipe for the ball return?Opinions TIA 10 Ringer Out gun)

The rails will be difficult to make. Rail rubber must be glued on at a very precise nose height and angle for correct rebound and eliminate jump. I would forego the noisy slow rattling ball return for nice drop pockets. The frame is easy. Just make it level, square, and heavy if you are not using real slate.

Level the frame in place before putting the top on. Bolt top to frame and check level both directions. Shim under legs with playing cards to fine tune. You can also shim between frame and top. If the table will be moved regularly or pushed around by kids, I would opt for screw in/out adjustable feet on the bottom of legs instead of shims.

Covering the rails and table with felt requires special knowledge and cutting techniques. You may find helpful videos on youtube.

Easily overlooked is the space requirement for a pool table. For an 8' standard size table the room size is a minimum of 13'6" x 17'. Any less than this and you will need a short cue for certain shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.