dissappearing crosshairs?

spdcrazy

hello, i got a ruger number one 6mm from my father for Xmas!

it has a weaver 3x9 scope but for some reason i seem to loose sight of the crosshairs once i get down and try to look at my target.

what can i do?

At the top of this part of the forum is a sticky called "Paralax vs Focus". Read that! Most likely the scope is out of focus and you will need to loosen the eyepiece ring and refocus it to your eyes.

At the top of this part of the forum is a sticky called "Paralax vs Focus". Read that! Most likely the scope is out of focus and you will need to loosen the eyepiece ring and refocus it to your eyes.

wow. now i'm amazingly confused. i think its a focus issue, i'll do some more research on it.

now i'm amazingly confused

For some reason many people have that reaction to it. Don't worry about it.

There should be a lock ring on the eyepiece. Unlock it and the eye piece will screw in and out and change the focus until it looks nice and clear, then lock the ring back down on it. Try not to unscrew it so far it falls off!!!. I have never actually heard of one being so far out of focus that you couldn't see the crosshair but that is the only thing I can think of that could be wrong.

For some reason many people have that reaction to it. Don't worry about it.

There should be a lock ring on the eyepiece. Unlock it and the eye piece will screw in and out and change the focus until it looks nice and clear, then lock the ring back down on it. Try not to unscrew it so far it falls off!!!. I have never actually heard of one being so far out of focus that you couldn't see the crosshair but that is the only thing I can think of that could be wrong.

ok if i do this, should i make sure its clear at distance? like 100 yrds like i was shotting today.

its like my eye will only focus on the crosshairs and not the coyote, or the other way around. its always one or the other, never both.

funny, i read the article you suggested, about six times. then i read the easier version that was below it, and i'm still lost. lol.

What you describe will be cured by focusing the eyepiece ( it is possible that there is an internal problem with a loose lens, but let us hope not). Set the gun in a rack or else sandbag it in so it is still and have it pointed at something a hundred or several hundred yards away. The job is to get the cross hair and the target to seem to be in the same place. Do not stare too long through the scope at any one time or else your eye will adapt to what you are seeing. Instead take a look and then adjust and take another look and adjust, and so on.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.