dissabilitys, old, health

ken snyder

Are there any forums on these subjects. Things are a lot different for some of us, the good old days are still here, but quite a bit different. I would like to hear how others are successfuly batteling these rodents. I got to help out one fellow who had no fingers, by makeing an extra large trigger guard. I am haveing a good time. In the mornings I do a fair amount of brush busting with light weight rifles. By afternoon I continue hunting by setting up on a landing and use a very heavy bench flopper. what do you guys do or use, How is your equipment and stategy different

In '93 we took a 73 year old gentleman out hunting with us. He was a long time hunter, from upstate New York, who had moved to Alaska after his wife had died. He had never shot a moose and we had the ability to provide him with the mobility he needed to shoot one. We hunt in a area that is excellent for spot and stalk hunting and I could take him to a spotting location in my buggy. Once a moose was spotted he could hike far enough to make a shot and then we could retrieve the moose with the buggy. We went after a couple that weren't quite big enough and finally found him one that was legal size, which at that time was 50" wide or 3 brow tines on at least one side. Last month we went to his 91st birthday party and he says that was one of the highlights of his life. So I would say that friends are one way to make things possible.

Gus

Here's Butch at 73 years old.
1289458523_1993_barf_camp0027.jpg

That is really cool and so is that buggy, I took my father in law out when he was pushing 80, last day of season. He shot at a stump and rifle was off about 2 feet, but he said, thats ok, I know where it is shooting. He had not been out in 20 yrs. We see a 4 pt whitey in a cut, he jumps out, I go forward looking for a spot to park. Hear a shot, by the time I get there the deer is already gutted. He was so proud to show that buck to his young grandson, great moment.

That is a great story,nice moose tooo,Mine Uncle is 84 and He`s not so much into hunting but He sure raises heck wit them prairie dogs.gun):D
My youngest boychild lives over near Wasilla,been there four or five years now and one day told Me "Dad,do`nt expect us to ever move back to the lower fourtyeight.
I have had the priveleage of going over there twice now,first time I told the wifey "I could just stay here" to which She replied something about the days was too short.LOL
That is a K00L buggey You have created there,if You do`nt mind,what are You using foer the drivetrain and engine????

That is a great story,nice moose tooo,Mine Uncle is 84 and He`s not so much into hunting but He sure raises heck wit them prairie dogs.gun):D
My youngest boychild lives over near Wasilla,been there four or five years now and one day told Me "Dad,do`nt expect us to ever move back to the lower fourtyeight.
I have had the priveleage of going over there twice now,first time I told the wifey "I could just stay here" to which She replied something about the days was too short.LOL
That is a K00L buggey You have created there,if You do`nt mind,what are You using foer the drivetrain and engine????

The frame is a Chevy Suburban, '76 Chevy 350, TH400 tranny, 205 t-case, front axle is a Chevy Dana 60 with a Powr-Lok and 7.17 gears, rear axle is a Dana 70 out of an International and is equipped with a Detroit Locker and 7.17 gears. The body is something that was fabbed at home.

Gus

Great looking buggy. After you described its build it became even more impressive. I have 2 good 4x4s that don't get drove because they are too expensive to operate daily. I was going to scrap them -- not anymore!

The frame is a Chevy Suburban, '76 Chevy 350, TH400 tranny, 205 t-case, front axle is a Chevy Dana 60 with a Powr-Lok and 7.17 gears, rear axle is a Dana 70 out of an International and is equipped with a Detroit Locker and 7.17 gears. The body is something that was fabbed at home.

Gus
And here I thought the 4.11s we used to like to run was low,them 7.17s must be some real crawlers.LOL
Reads like You have all the right stuff built into Your buggey with the Danas and the IHs and Chevy equipped to boot,that 400 transmixer is the best of the best or should that be beast.LOL

Are there any forums on these subjects. Things are a lot different for some of us, the good old days are still here, but quite a bit different. I would like to hear how others are successfuly batteling these rodents. I got to help out one fellow who had no fingers, by makeing an extra large trigger guard. I am haveing a good time. In the mornings I do a fair amount of brush busting with light weight rifles. By afternoon I continue hunting by setting up on a landing and use a very heavy bench flopper. what do you guys do or use, How is your equipment and stategy different

maybe there should be a forum ken.

age is something none of us can avoid. im over 75 which means im closer to 100 than 50.
physical condition can vary greatly among older hunters. mindset is the important thing in my opinion.
dont make pains in the *** of ourselves by constantly complaing about old age and the associated problems.
find ways to make younger guys want to be with you. thats the most important thing in my opinion.
that usually means dont be a user. let them shoot while you call shots.
being there is whats important anyway.

that buggy is a great piece of equiptment and obviously works well in that terrain.
but ill keep my 06 rubicon for getting me around the n. c. pa. hills.

maybe there should be a forum ken.

age is something none of us can avoid. im over 75 which means im closer to 100 than 50.
physical condition can vary greatly among older hunters. mindset is the important thing in my opinion.
dont make pains in the *** of ourselves by constantly complaing about old age and the associated problems.
find ways to make younger guys want to be with you. thats the most important thing in my opinion.
that usually means dont be a user. let them shoot while you call shots.
being there is whats important anyway.

that buggy is a great piece of equiptment and obviously works well in that terrain.
but ill keep my 06 rubicon for getting me around the n. c. pa. hills.
Mind set is what it is all about,without that it causes a lot of people to become old long before their time,being with younger than Me people helps to keep My mindset in a younger generation,helping to teach Mine Grandaughter of eight to shoot the BB gun is a hoooot too.LOL being not demanding that She hits the bullseye every shot lets Her have fun wile learning to.I LOVE LIFE AND LIVING.

Friends are very important. Take a young one hunting and in time they will take an old one hunting. When I talk with hunters that are blind or quadrapalegic they all have the same needs. Even a young person with his first deer rifle is handicapped. friends always level the playing field. The equipment differences are amazing as well.

My disability found me this site and is bringing me a new rifle and optics.
Born and raised in Northern California I took up fishing and hunting as a young guy. Birds, pig, bear, and mostly Blacktail with a desire to hunt mulies and elk but never drew.
In 'o7 I was 50, and out of the blue, came down with leukemia. A stem cell transplant later I'm left a part of the man I used to be. Neuropathy is the main culprit and I lost some stamina and a step or two. I lost all my pref. points but plan to start over this year.
My intent is to long range hunt. Sitting and scoping, then moving and repeating. I need to find new ground though as my favorite areas are wilderness and beyond my range. I also have to develop a new hunting partner as I lost my long time friend to cancer last year.
I'd love to hear of anyone in Nor Cal that has pig or turkey land available to hunt and would also appreciate (pm) ideas where I can "expand my range" by getting out of the high canyons and into the rolling hills without encroaching on folks.
I am jazzed about my new rig I'm puting together. Having located a rifle I'm now researching optics. Soon I'll be filling out my tag applications and dreaming of my new opportunities.
Hope to see some of you out in the hills.

Like a lot of others I am disabled myself. I really don't talk about it much as I am only 44. I was bombed in Iraq during Desert Storm and had 7 neck and back surgeries and I love being in the out doors either shoot or hunting.

I started taking my son and he is enjoying himself even though I feel like I am bout to fall apart but seeing his face is priceless. He loves shooting and just starting to hunt.

He is going on his first turkey hunt this year if it's not too hot or crowed. Sometimes it is like a warzone out there. That is why I stopped pheasant hunting because they are penned birds and on 300 acres it gets pretty crazy out there.

I wish all the people disabilities all the best and keep trying to do the best you can.

Good luck.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.