Dime covers 30!

goodgrouper

Thought you fellow 6br guys would appreciate this. I was fireforming some brass for a 6br improved today with 105 grain Lapua Scenars using 26 grains of IMR3031. The
bullets were jumping to the rifling about .125" and were only going 2600 fps. Sd was 10 fps. There were no wind flags and the bench used was a throwaway range bench made from rickety old planks from the Santa Maria. My target board was blowing around in the 10 mph wind and I really didn't concentrate to shoot this group. I didn't even level my rest or table top!

There are 33 shots total in this group but three flew out to the sides making it 30 shots that can be covered with a dime at 100 yards! This baby shoots.

Equip: Bat MB action, Jewell 2 oz. trigger, Leupy 8.5-25 LRT, Edge HBR stock, 30" Krieger 4 groove barrel with an 8" twist and Vais brake.
30shots.jpg

30shotscovered.jpg

Gotta love those 6mm br's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any shooter should appreciate that! I don't shoot Benchrest
Comp. but it seems that this round might be something I need to shoot some Varmits & paper beyond 700 yards. I believe you said a few months ago that you did not know any
other round that would perform like this at 1,000 yds. with
30 gr. of powder & with this accuracy, at least that is the way I remember it. Frankly, I don't either.

I would be happy with just three in that size group. That seems like a long jump. How long is your throat?

Just out of curiosity it would seem a 30 inch barrel and IMR3031 with a heavy bullet would be peculiar combination and that the same result could be obtained with a 22 -24 inch barrel? (I know the sentence sounds like a statement but it is really a quaestion)

I think you'd be happy with one of these little guns for long range plinking. It is probably the most efficient 1k cartridge out there right now. If Berger would make a 55 grain 20 cal VLD, I would stuff it into a 20 ppc and that would probably be even a little more efficient 1k performer but they don't make that bullet as of yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That seems like a long jump. How long is your throat?

[/ QUOTE ]
I designed the reamer so that the base of a 95 grain Berger VLD will go down to the bottom of the neck.

[ QUOTE ]
it would seem a 30 inch barrel and IMR3031 with a heavy bullet would be peculiar combination and that the same result could be obtained with a 22 -24 inch barrel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just fireforming the brass as it is an improved br. I fireform with a faster than normal powder with a heavy bullet pushed down onto the top of the powder column. This gives a quick pressure curve that forms the shoulder just as nice or nicer than using a normal powder with a light bullet jammed into the riflings.

After fireforming, this little gun will get a good dose of RL15 or Varget and the 95 Berger will be jammed about .015" into the rifling. THis should yeild velos in the 3100 fps area or a tad more.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts