Dillon press question

cinch

Can anyone reccomend a Dillon press to load 45acp? What accessories would be nice to have with it? I would like to be able to crank out a few thousand at a time. Thank you for your suggestions!

Dillon XL 650 with auto case feed will easily crank out 600-800/hr.

I've probably loaded couple hundred thousand on my 650 and its still as good as new.

Depending on the height of your table, the strong mount is nice, also the bullet tray is handy. I don't care for the low powder alarm, as the powder hopper is clear and easily visible. The Powder check is nice though (alarms for individual low/high powder charges).

Get some extra primer tubes and use the Dillon dies, as they have a lead cut in the bottom for progressive use.

AJ

I have the 550B, and it works great for .45, knocks out 3-400 rounds an hour which is plenty for me. Whatever you choose, Graf & sons has a better price than getting it straight from Dillon.

The Square Deal B is designed for pistol reloading. If you want a dedicated press for 45 ACP, you should look at this one.

square deal b

go with the SDB 400-500 an hour good used ones on e-bay for around 200 to 250 sometimes less if ya get lucky. My last one I bought was 175 so check it out.:D:D

550b

If you plan to ever load anything but .45, look at the 550B. I have a set of Dillion dies for .45 and they work fine. However, I have loaded THOUSANDS of rounds of 9mm, 38, 357, and 44 using my Lee dies with equally good success at a much lower price. Remember to order spare powder drop dies for other calibers, their only a few bucks apiece.

Like AJ said, bullet tray, strong mount, and extra primer tubes are nice. Also order the spare parts kit for few bucks to save you some late night frustration some day. Finally the item that I can't do without is their primer flip tray...huge time saver.

Thank you for all your good ideas. I will have to start doing some locating and pricing. I'm sure there will be more questions to follow as I have never used a progressive press before. Thanks again!

The absolute best one to load lots of pistol ammo on is the 1050. If you use mil surp 45 you need to remove the primer crimp and the 1050 will do it as you load, same for 223. I've had one for more than a decade and it's still running just as well as when I started with it. I also have the 650 and had the 550.
The newer version of the 1050 will also do rifle cartridges up to 30-06 size, I understand.
It all depends on how much money you want to spend.

I will have to look in to that. I never thought about surplus brass. What do they consider "comercialy fired" brass? I found some on Hi-tech ammo pretty cheap. Thanks again!

Fowler Bullet Dropper and Coolator a must..

I have a Dillon 1050 fitted with a Fowler Bullet Dropper and a MA Systems Coolator. I can load about 3000 rounds per hour easily. I have a ten tube turrent primer feed on my press. This allows for loading 1100 rounds before stoping to replenish bullets, powder and primers. These systems are quiet expensive but make your press able to keep up with a Camdex or Ammoload machine for a 1/5 of the cost.

Rustystud

I have a Dillon 1050 fitted with a Fowler Bullet Dropper and a MA Systems Coolator. I can load about 3000 rounds per hour easily. I have a ten tube turrent primer feed on my press. This allows for loading 1100 rounds before stoping to replenish bullets, powder and primers. These systems are quiet expensive but make your press able to keep up with a Camdex or Ammoload machine for a 1/5 of the cost.

Rustystud

Rusty,
Tell me more about these, please. Anyplace I can look at them on the web?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.