Diffrent Reticle Mark 4??

HntWhtTail

I have been considering changing scopes, current scope is a Mark 4 3.5-10 mildot m1 turrets. I find the reticle to be too thick at center for aiming on small targets and precision at longer ranges. Any thoughts on instead of changing scopes but rather change reticle. I hardly use mildot for rangeing, and really like the B&C on my vx III 4.5-14. Im also considering a fine crosshair, or maybe tmr. should add this is on my current long range hunter 6.5x300wsm

i have the tmr reticle on mine and i love it, not to thick and in the center cross hair there is a little square cut out so on really small targets the center doesnt cover it up

Ditto center is open. A 1.5'' sticky dot just fits @400 yrd.perfect for precise.I love the reticle for quick holdovers also

I've got 2 of the TMR's. What's been said I'll second. The illuminated sharpens the edges for my old eyes.

Last edited:
I have a Mk 4 as well. With the TMR reticle. And as stated, I love it for precise aiming due to the very fine hair AND the center where the cross hairs are open. That said, I have been wondering if Leupold would be able to retrofit my scope to the NPR-2 (since I have MOA dials would be nice to match that with the reticle) So I called em. After about 30 min on hold got a fellow who told me that they dont offer the NPR-2 (its a NF reticle) but that in a few months they will be breaking out an MOA version of the TMR reticle. So for @ $180.00 he says they would convert it. Sorry to be long winded, but thought that might be an option for youy to consider.

I hunted all last season with a TMR sitting on top of my 6.5WSM. 655yd muley on the ground, the TMR did just fine. I never felt the reticle was too thick or the open center too imprecise. I don't mind it at all.

If Leupy is truly coming out with an MOA-TMR they will have a smash hit on their hands! People have been begging for that for years...

OP- Another great option for your Leupy is Holland's ART, you can get either MOA or Mils, check it out:

Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply

Just click the link called "Advanced Reticle Technology".

t

I recently got a quote from leupold for $159 to change the reticle in my mark 4, I'm about sick of the duplex reticle I want the TMR. Not sure why anyone would want the duplex in a tactical/long range scope anyway..

I agree, the TMR is a great reticle. BTW the TMR will subtend MOA at slightly less than max power.

THANKS FOR THE INFO!. I just sent my 8year old Mark IV with an Illuminated Duplex that I use on my hunting rifle back to Leupold for the $159.99 upgrade to the TMR. I have the newer TMR on my target rifle and I love it.

I recently got a quote from leupold for $159 to change the reticle in my mark 4, I'm about sick of the duplex reticle I want the TMR. Not sure why anyone would want the duplex in a tactical/long range scope anyway..

Because some people only use the center point for aiming. Maybe they dial for everything...

OP,
I recommend the TMR as well. If you plan on disgracing that scope with a B&C reticle, just sell it....I forbid you.

even if you dial it's still nice to have the mildot for quick follow ups and if not they're not in the way of anything. Definitely don't don't put a bush league bdc anywhere near a mark 4.

As far as dialing in for everything...I used to do that in competitions, but it hurt my head to dial in the MOA offset for the current wind, then the wind would drop and I didn't have time to change the scope. So I would need to hold off some amount to the downwind (feels wrong) side of the target. Since installing the Mark IV with the TMR on my target rifle, I've grown to prefer determining the range of MIL offset for the expected wind range, and use the MIL hashes inside the scope to hold off INTO the wind for the current conditions. Now my Duplex recticule in my Mark IV on my hunting rifle MUST be upgraded to TMR...there is no going back. (and my head hurts much less)
ps if you reduce the scope power from maximum, the hash marks will subtend MORE area, not less. So you can't get them to represent MOA instead of MILS.

ps if you reduce the scope power from maximum, the hash marks will subtend MORE area, not less. So you can't get them to represent MOA instead of MILS.

Sure ya can, it'll subtend to several minutes but not single moa.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.