Different holds on rifle -big change in POI.

ol mike

I did a little expiermenting while shoot the other day.

I shot my -22-250 and 25-06 off of three different rests the other day ,i had a cleaning tray that i used the holder to shoot from -a small bulls bag then a harris bipod.
The POI changed the most dramically off the bipod when used on the flush truck cap.
A firm hold plus the bipod would shoot 3" higher at 115yds than the groups off the bag and a light hold !
Ya recon i'd shoot over a coyote at 200yds if that senario happened ?

Yep, you'd miss.
I've run into the same thing shooting at chucks from the top of my truck, off a bipod. Just the opposite shooting off the hood, I never miss from there.

One bag firmness to another completely changes things as well.

At a local annual shoot we're challenged with hitting a 1"bull at 200yds, with a single cold bore shot. With each hit, you move to the next round(and the back of a big line). A miss, and you're eliminated. One winner takes all eventually. Simple.
Except, you can't use a rest other than a feed sack thrown up on the table by the event holder. He changes up from sand, dirt, to wheat, or whatever, and you never know what to prepare on. So you never know where exactly your gun will be shooting until you try it that day. You also can only guess about temperature beforehand.

I went this year with the same gun/load that I won with last year. Fully prepaired to shoot off a sand filled bag(as before). I could nail the bull with 50 cold bore shots if needed. But when I got there the bag was full of wheat, and my gun hated it. Knocked out in the 4th round..
A Savage won with Hornady ammo! That gun just loved that bag.

That gunrange owner knows how to throw a guy off.

I have never been able to get a gun to shoot well off a hard surface ,i've tried Froggy's method of pushing into the bipod but still can't get good groups.

Savge w/hornady ammo -gitter done....

I'm new to this, but correct me if I'm wrong: if you sight in your rifle on bags, then the bipods are useless?

Bags ain't alot of good for real hunting. If you plan to use a bipod in the field, then you should develop your shooting system from it.

This isn't a problem.
2 of my guns shoot far better off bipods, than bags. So these are my hunting guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.