Difference in velocity

little black 243

I am thinking about rebarreling my rem 700 7mm rem mag and was wondering what the velocity difference would be between a 24" and a 26" barrel? I need a good packing gun and am trying to save weight. I know there are a lot of factors in play as well but after doing a search I cant seem to find an answer. Thank you

A Slow or a Fast barrel

Can have a big influence on the actual outcome, but under normal circumstances it should be anywhere between 60-80fps.

Peter

If you are rebarreling anyway you may want to consider some other choices that do better in a short tube than the 7mm rem mag. 7mm's off the blown out '06 case do well with short barrels and you can equal the magnum in performance with less powder and recoil and brass is cheaper. Use a little faster powder that gets more burn in the short tube and you get a little more efficient cartridge. The short mag does fairly well in a short tube with a little faster powder. How much velocity you will lose is dependent on which bullet and powder you use. Heavy long range bullets need a lot of slow burning powder typically which need barrel length to burn or you watch your powder burn in a huge muzzle flash out the barrel which does no good. I have a 7mm JRS and the 7mm gibbs off blown out '06 cases and both will equal the 7 rem mag in a 24" tube with a smaller dose of faster powder.

To answer your question --- it depends on the powder. I have found and many have done testing to prove this --- there is no standard and it depends on the individual rifle, bullet and powder combination.

Do some research on the net --- it is out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.