Difference between G1 and G7 BC

Precision_Game_85

What is the difference between the G1 and G7 measurement of ballistic coefficient measurements? I've seen both and the G7 number seems to be a lot lower? Reading up on ballistics and couldn't figure this out. Thanks :)

What is the difference between the G1 and G7 measurement of ballistic coefficient measurements? I've seen both and the G7 number seems to be a lot lower? Reading up on ballistics and couldn't figure this out. Thanks :)

In layman's terms, it means that the G1 is based on a flat based spitzer and the comparison
between it and the new boat tail bullets will give you a much higher BC.

The G7 model is closer to the new bullet shape and this will give you a lower BC .

The G1 is preferred by some bullet makers because of the higher numbers . But for
the long range shooter the G7 will be closer in calculated trajectory to your actual
bullet drop so it is preferred for long rang shooting when calculating cold bore shots
at long distances.

J E CUSTOM

+1 on JE Customs post. I have found that the G7 come ups were much closer to my actual findings using the high bc Berger bullets than the G1 values.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.