Difference between 4831sc and RE22

Firearrow

Been using 4831sc in my 300 win mag, and was thinking about trying RE22. I have seen then fps difference and the fill ratio, but was moe concerened about accuracy. I know my own barrel is special, and I need to try it out for my self, but I was just wondering if any one out there had tried both in a 300 win mag, and what the results were. Thanks

Not opposed to comments on on H1000 either. O ya pusing a 190gr. Burger. Only thing left stock on my rifle is the barrel, Remington barrel that is.

im shooting rl 22 in my 300 win mag. 71.2gr under a 185 VLD i get 2975 FPS out of a 28 inch hart barrel with a ES of 8 fps it shoots way better then i can hold , i would recommend trying it.

Not in that caliber, but I got better velocity and accuracy out of RL22 compared to H4831sc in my 260, but that probably doesn't help.

I have several rifles that prefer the Re loader brand of powder and shoot extremely well,
but with extreme temperature changes they tend to change POI (Mostly when going from 40o
to 100+o)

So I would recomend checking performance and zeros under the same conditions you intend to
hunt if possible.

J E CUSTOM

Funny thing about the RE after doing some research is I have found out that it is a great powder, but the consistancy in the powder changes from batch to batch, and that it is more weather sensative than the Hogdon. Still need to shoot some of it.

Funny thing about the RE after doing some research is I have found out that it is a great powder, but the consistancy in the powder changes from batch to batch, and that it is more weather sensative than the Hogdon. Still need to shoot some of it.

I got nearly 100fps difference between lots a few years ago. I experienced the temp sensitivity this stuff produces as well. Thats when I switched over to Hodgdon's extreme powders.

I've killed 20 deer in the last ten years with 165 hornady bullets, win brass, 215 primers, and rl22in my 300 win. I'ver got 2 kegs rl22 in my shop because I use so much; both topped to about ten pounds. Rl will give you about 100 fps over H in the 300 win with 165 and 180 grain pills. Gotta go to tl25 with 220's to get the best speed.
I've noticed less than 80 fps difference between 0 and 100 degrees with it and no el. change. in my rifle. I'm getting as much difference in speed with H or I in other rifles.

Some of relatives guns love 4831sc and mine hate it. Mine seem to love Re22 and have been concerned with poi when hunting. Have a large area to zero at base camp 2 days before opener, but temps can vary so much in a day.

Been trying some H1000, does anyone know what is diff in H1000 and Retumbo?

Some of relatives guns love 4831sc and mine hate it. Mine seem to love Re22 and have been concerned with poi when hunting. Have a large area to zero at base camp 2 days before opener, but temps can vary so much in a day.

Been trying some H1000, does anyone know what is diff in H1000 and Retumbo?
Retumbo is a bit slower. Both are fair to good powders. I've got a keg of retumbo I bought on a whim for my 7stw. It doesn't like it so I'll use it in my 7mag-- seems to be sub moa there with fair speed. My 300 win will use 7828 or h1000 in addition to rl if I'm using 180's, but I use the 180's in my 300 Ultra and stay with the 165's in the 300 win. 3300 fps either way makes the swing on a running critter very similar between rifles.
I've never seen temp. make any more zero change with rl than any other powder. People beat up rl powders; I've burned kegs of it with zero issues for years now. I honestly think the H and I powders are the slowest out there speed for pressure generated for a given burn rate. Strain guage data I've got from my last 7stw will back this up at least in that rifle.

I am not beating up RL powders, but where I live, it does affect the POI in my rifles. It does shoot great though. I however have tried to get away from it, switching to the extreme powders for consistency.

Just my 2 cents!

I am not beating up RL powders, but where I live, it does affect the POI in my rifles. It does shoot great though. I however have tried to get away from it, switching to the extreme powders for consistency.

Just my 2 cents!

All rifles are a law unto themselves. Most 7 stw rifles with heavy match pills love retumbo; mine doesn't care for it. Some really seem to be single base rifles, some are double base rifles. Noticing nuances like these that are rifle dependant will help you get a good load for your rifle quicker. I've got some rifles running single base, and some running double base based on what they like. I shy away from I and H powders if the rifle likes RL, but if it doesn't I work with it. My 375 h@h burnes all I powder, my 7mag doesn't care, and my 300 rum simply loves rl25 and rl50 enough I really haven't tried Retumbo in it.

4831sc=consistancy
R22=speed
Only a cronagraph and a target will know the difference:D
Life has been so much easier since I quit chaseing speed= With 4831sc and a large lot of Retumbo the 6.5-284, 7mag, 7WSM and 338 Edge are a LOT easier to get first round hits.
Ya I may have to back off of max loads to get H4831sc and Retumbo tuned but once tuned it stays that way.
With Reloader powders it seams you have to tune for 20 degree temp changes and most loads like to be close to max.....A max load @ 50degrees can will and does create problems if the round cooks in the chamber, sits in the sun, comes out of an inside pocket.............

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.