Diesel Truck for hunting

Randy

Don't know if I'll make it down there at all.

Depends on if we go down to vist my wifes Mother and Father in Harrisburg during that time.

If we decide to go it will be at the last minute and through the week.
Not on the weekend.

Later
DC

Thanks for all the input I have narrowed it down to a used F250 or a F350 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel Manual trans Not sure on the year. Is the Turbo worth getting? Is the chip a hand held unit that hooks up to the diagnostic port?
Crow Mag

Hunter66654, the fuel pump problems were only for the 24-valve engines from 1998.5 - 2002. The 2003 and up fuel pumps are a different design for the HPCR Cummins.

CrowMag - A turbo is an absolute must in my opinion - a diesel engine without one is slower than hell - remember the 1980's chevy and ford diesels? Pulling anything with them was a futile effort if you came to a hill.
The chip, at least for the Dodge, is plugged in between the regular wire harness and some of the electronics on the engine - this chip changes the signals so that the fuel curve is recalibrated for more power. The 12 valve Cummins engines (1989 - 1998) are all mechanical (no electronics on the injection pump) so they are cheap and easy to pump up.
Whatever you buy, if you chip it or modify it for more power, be sure to get a exhaust temp gauge so you don't melt the pistons.

[ 02-04-2004: Message edited by: gonehuntingagain ]

Thanks, BH. It scared the hell out of me for a few minutes. Does anyone else have any comments or experience with the fuel pump on the 2003 Dodge HO Diesel?

Thanks, BH. It scared the hell out of me for a few minutes. Does anyone else have any comments or experience with the fuel pump on the 2003 Dodge HO Diesel?

I have a 2002 3/4ton 4x4 HO Cummins 6spd manual trans (54,000mi). My dad has a 99 3/4ton cummins w/auto (190K mi or so was 185k when I looked back in Dec.). His has had problems for a while (fuel transfer pump and trans problems (torqueconverter)that is). Now when ya'll speak of fuel pump problems try to be clear on what exactly your speaking of. The 98.5-02 cummins have a fuel transfer pump (which has been know to have problems) When the transfer pump goes out (DON'T CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER) you won't get it started again. As long as you don't get air in the fuel lines, the engine will start and run normaly even when the transfer pump is all but gone. But I does need to be replaced.
The Bosch fuel injector pump is not exactly a piece of junk! It is a sound piece of equipment, and like all pumps that put out high pressures it will eventualy wear out. I know several hot shot drivers running cummins engines that have over 250mi on the original injector pumps, and still going.

DC is very corret about the lack of glow plugs though. Well it's not really lacking in any case. The Cummins engine is a true diesel engine. The only heat it needs is generated during compression. The fuel preheater is for extreme cold weather and to help prevent fuel gelling. As a matter of fact I started mine up in 28degree F temp last Nov. with out allowing the fuel preheat cycle to begin. Just wanted to see if it would. Cranked right up, and I don't mean I cranked on it for 5-10 sec, I mean I touched the key and it was running. Just like I do every morning. Not realy saying anything bad about Ford or Chevy but I know for a fact that neither one of them can do that with out the glow plugs heating up first. Seen and heard them crank and crank then start in the morning when leaving camp.
The tranny problems stem from Chrystler putting a torq-converter that isn't up to the task of handling the torque and Hp the cummins engine has. The trans. itself is a good transmition, fitted with a good torque-converter it will hold up with the Ford 5spd and the Allison. Just go ask the guys who drag race and tractor pull with their cummins/auto. But seeing in how I prersonaly don't like automatics, went with the 6spd manual.
Anyway, it's late i'm tired. And now i'm gone.

I took a Dodge for a run today the new one is real quiet running and I like 4 door. The dealer did not have a manual trans in stock and he said the ones coming in April will have an optional 600 Foot Pounds of torque that may be worth considering. I thought I had my mind set on a Ford
blush.gif
grin.gif

I'd be getting the Dodge Cummins if I didn't already have one.
grin.gif

Went for a ride in a 92 Dodge with the Cummins. My neighbor plows snow with this one and he did some plowing for me. We have about 24" of snow laying on the ground and the State plows have it piled up along driveways up to the bottom of your truck windows. That old Dodge with the automatic and 171,000 miles took no time to open up my lane and gated area at the road.
He has been plowing for years with it and it's his first line vehical. In fantastic condition to.
Have another neighbor with the Dodge Cummins to.

This is Dodge country.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Later
DC
smile.gif

ANYONE.. getting anty diesel...

If you get a chip for it you BETTER or even MUST!!! without exception get your exhaust enlarged as well as replace the or eliminate the catalitic converter and muffler.. your temps will get so high you start te melt/break stuff... you CANNOT just chip a diesel and get after it... you'll spend A LOT more money down the road!!

the Banks Systems are the best out there and anyone who installs them ca give the details on what I am talking about.. PLEASE just don't throw in a chip and htink you;ve sone the right thing!!

Rics correct.

The Banks kit comes with a full larger exhaust system, a larger intercooler, a waste gate turbo, instructions on turning up the pumps, both Boost and exhaust temp gauges and all connections for everything.

Jumps the horsepower by 60 to 80 HP in most diesels and increases the miles per gallon.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Ric, Good words of advice. I would also add a full set of gauges to the list (Boost, Pyrometer, trans temp). If you are towing heavy with a chip you will want to watch your pyrometer. I very good site to check out is www.thedieselstop.com They have lots of good info, mostly fords but there are some real nice dodge and chevy folks there.

Matt

I used to have two diesel vehicles. Guess what they were?
VW Jetta Diesel and Chev Silverado Diesel.
The VW Jetta gave me average 50MPG (Canadian MPG). I could drive to Wyoming, less than $40!
One comment puzzled me is that if you have the lack of glow plugs, it will not start, is this true? It may be a little different than my car, VW Jetta TDI because the idiot light came on (the service check) and I went to the dealer about it and the mechanic found the problem and it was the fuse that blew out. I had that light on for 2-3 months and I can start the car just fine.
The mechanic said you don't need the glow plug during the summer time. It will start without them. You will need the glow plugs in the winter time to warm the "heads" or something like that.

-Denny

Whether or not a diesel engine will start in cold weather without glow plugs depends entirely on compression. Just because an engine runs on diesel fuel doesn't neccisarily mean that it has a very high compression ratio. We have an Onan 4cyl diesel generator, will not start without glow plugs period. It has very low compression for a diesel engine. Thinking back a few years to a chemistry class I took, the temp. required for combustion to occur decreases as pressure increases. In other words If you constructed a motor with enough compression, no external heat source would be required no matter how cold you got. Realisticly speaking that is, doesn't hold up if you hit absolute zero. But then that's a hell of a lot colder than any situation anyone would ever be in.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts