Dies for VLD loading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by MOG, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MOG

MOG Member

G'day guys,
    I am building a 7mm SAUM and am hoping to progress to LR hunting soon with the rifle. I have heard that VLD bullets in the higher weights need a different bullet seating die for VLD's is this true? I would prefer to buy once and get it right now.

Regards,

Mog

2. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

Depends on the the seating plug, some times the plug in a run of the mill die can contact to far up the Ojive giving you inconsistent seating depths or (rarely) contact the meplat. If you want to avoid all that then go with High end RCBS, Forester, Redding, ect. You can get away with saving a little bit on your sizing die by getting a plane Jane FL sizer or Lee neck sizer, and get a good seater, but at some point your going to have to size the body, Redding makes a body die that isn't to expensive.

3. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

only the seater stem is different, and available from most major mfg.s

4. 8andbait

8andbait Well-Known Member

my hornady 25-06 seating stem would hit the meplat on my 115 gr bergers. I drilled it out about 1/8" and is fine now. My creedmoor dies came with an additional stem that was designed for the AMAX and worked for the 140gr VLD. I assume you can get a custom stem or drill it out if it's not deep enough.

gary

5. MOG

MOG Member

Cheers for the replies guys looks like a redding Type S match seating die is in my future then.
    Regards

Mog

6. 8andbait

8andbait Well-Known Member

That is what I am getting from now on also. I hear they have stems deep enough for the VLD bullets

gary