Dies for VLD loading

MOG

G'day guys,
I am building a 7mm SAUM and am hoping to progress to LR hunting soon with the rifle. I have heard that VLD bullets in the higher weights need a different bullet seating die for VLD's is this true? I would prefer to buy once and get it right now.

Regards,

Mog

Depends on the the seating plug, some times the plug in a run of the mill die can contact to far up the Ojive giving you inconsistent seating depths or (rarely) contact the meplat. If you want to avoid all that then go with High end RCBS, Forester, Redding, ect. You can get away with saving a little bit on your sizing die by getting a plane Jane FL sizer or Lee neck sizer, and get a good seater, but at some point your going to have to size the body, Redding makes a body die that isn't to expensive.

my hornady 25-06 seating stem would hit the meplat on my 115 gr bergers. I drilled it out about 1/8" and is fine now. My creedmoor dies came with an additional stem that was designed for the AMAX and worked for the 140gr VLD. I assume you can get a custom stem or drill it out if it's not deep enough.

gary

Cheers for the replies guys looks like a redding Type S match seating die is in my future then.
Regards

Mog

That is what I am getting from now on also. I hear they have stems deep enough for the VLD bullets

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.