die selection for 308

When I got set up years back I went straight for the competition bullet seater. It works very well and I appreciate the ability to quickly dial in adjustments on the micrometer. I shoot primarily a bolt gun, so I picked up a neck on resize die, and only FL resize on the first firing and then I resize the neck only. I typically get a few loads with neck sizing only before I'll need to run it back through the FL die. The idea behind that is you aren't overworking your brass, instead only working the neck. Again, this would only apply if you're firing the same brass, from the same rifle each time, as it would be fire-formed to that specific weapons chamber. Another thing I appreciate are the locking die rings. There are a few brands out there, I have the Hornady ones. I replaced all the standard Dillon rings with these. It makes locking your dies in place easy, and if you ever have to remove the die, you can easily screw it right back into place without loosing your settings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts