Did it! New MT Landowner

Discussion in 'West' started by varmintH8R, Jul 8, 2014.

1. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

Well, I finally broke down and have a parcel under contract in MT, just west of Missoula. I hope to spend some summers there with the family, and of course a few weeks every fall . . .

I am looking forward to figuring out how to hunt geography that is not a perfectly flat cornfield . . . feel free to chime in to help me out - or ridicule me!

Glad to be a MT part-timer, with a hopeful outlook to be a full-timer in the future

Brandon

2. mongoose

mongoose Well-Known Member

Welcome to the promised land, Brandon. I'm from Butte but at present in Wy. You can have all of Wy for a section in MT.

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Brandon,

Welcome to the Big Sky Country. Figuring how to hunt it is half the fun :D ... and I don't think you'll have any problem.

Cheers!

Ed

4. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

How many acres are you acquiring? Any buildings? When will you be sending invites to hunt and shoot? or just give us the address/map coordinates and we'll meet you there! :D

5. varmintH8R

We've got a nice 20 acre building site, backed up by an 80 that is surrounded on all 3 sides by USFS and BLM land. For a long way. Not a ton that's "all mine" to hunt, but I'll get tired of hiking before I run out of adjacent land to hunt. Or maybe I'll just get more gear:)

I like your idea of posting coordinates. I should introduce myself to the area with a full-on LR shoot, open invite!

6. varmintH8R

Thanks! I look forward to learning to hunt it the same way I learned here - by screwing up a lot. Should be fun!

7. WyoDutch

WyoDutch New Member

Montana is THE best place in America. Everyone should have a place in Montana.
    Don't waste your time in Wyoming.. can't hold a candle to Montana.

Look at what I have to put up with in this lousy state of Wyoming! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NONYA

NONYA Banned

Buy a dodge diesel and drive up and down the roads with the rest of the transplants,you will fit right in.

9. buckbrush

buckbrush Well-Known Member

Don't forget the fuel tank in the bed and straight pipe exhaust.

10. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Wait.....I have most of that stuff and I have lived in MT all my life. I am taking a gas tank to hunting camp this year to feed the boat so I don't have to go to town and fill gas cans. I have a straight pipe on my Dodge diesel per my mechanics recommendation. They must be copying me.:cool:

Congrats on the piece of property. I hope it works out for you.

Steve

11. rooster740

rooster740 Well-Known Member

I have three Dodge diesels and drive up and down the roads. So other then the few years I spent jumping out of airplanes for our uncle, I have lived and worked my ass off in this state.
    I am sure that you meant no harm in your statement so no apology is requested, but that is one hell of a way to welcome a new Montanan that actually hunts.

12. varmintH8R

Thanks guys for the well-wishes. I spent 4 days working out on the property last week and had a great time. I am clearly not used to humping up and down that mountain, because I could barely walk by the end of day 4. I can't wait to hunt it next year.

The people that I have met have been great - friendly and ridiculously helpful. The guy who sold me the property came out to lend me a saw (I flew in). He then proceeded to stay for 4 hours and help me cut and drag timber. You don't get that kind of consideration in SE Michigan, that's for sure.

I know there are a few who have concerns over me doing "transplanty" type things. I'll try my best to not be an overcompensating out-of-towner. You can pretty much count on not seeing me in a big diesel truck - by the time I get the cabin built I'll probably be leasing a 1986 Huffy 10-speed and carrying my belongings in a plastic bag. Nothing like being college-poor again!

13. buckbrush

buckbrush Well-Known Member

You mean you installed that stuff and it gets used for its intended purpose?! You get a free pass! :D

I often see them placed in the back of the bed for "visual appeal" with no pump wiring.

Sorry for generalizing.

14. doug fogle

doug fogle New Member

Get in good physical shape and enjoy walking