did i make a bad choice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buckboy, Oct 12, 2008.

1. buckboy

buckboy Member

i bought a brand new Rem 700 Lefthand 7mm UltraMag 3 weeks ago ( against all my buddies advice), you know who they are- the so called experts - they have never shot anything over a 270 - had a 6500 2x16x50 elite installed, & grabbed my cleaning supplies, ammo etc., & headed to the range for the day. Cleaned the gun, and got ready for my first shot with it. Shot,cleaned ,shot, cleaned, shot, cleaned, shot, cleaned & put a new target up to really see what this rifle would do. Three shots in a nice little cloverleaf 3/8". Thought it was a fluke, so i did it again. Same thing. I thought no way that this is happening so i got the owner of the range to shoot it. He shot it-same thing -nice little cloverleaf 3/8" He offered to buy the gun on the spot. The ammo I used was Remington's 150g Swift Scirrocco factory load. The recoil is not bad at all, kind of addicting. i wish there was away to put the target on the website but I don't have a digital camera or printer. I think i found my new long range rifle.

2. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

was it a bdl custom deluxe?

3. buckboy

buckboy Member

Yes it is. The funny thing about the rifle is that it sat on his shelf for almost 4 years and it was custom ordered for another fella and that guy backed out of the deal then. The owner of the gun shop took $300 off the price of the gun just to get it out of there. His loss, my gain. So for less then $ 1100 CDN i have a Rem 700 BDL LH 7mm UltraMag with a Bushnell 6500 2.5x16x50 scope with Leupold rings & bases, sling and Gun case . I am very pleased!!!

4. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a winner. Do you load your own?

If you do the 160 Nosler Accubonds and Hodgdon H1000 has worked well in almost everyone I've seen.

5. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

I agree, sounds like you've found your long range gun!

6. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

Another lefty. I like to see that. Shooting right hand is always the right decision. Have fun with it.

7. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

Looks like a solid choice to me. Lots of rifle there for long ranging pretty awsome how well it shot with factory ammo