Did I hurt my crown?

arthurj

Hey guys, I'm probably worrying about nothing but I was using my cleaning rod to measure OAL(where you mark it when it contacts bolt face and then mark with a bullet lodged in rifling) I wasn't thinking and I let go of the pencil I was holding the bullet in the lands with. The rod dislodged the bullet and slid down and hit the crown. The piece of Stainless steel on the rod handle hit it and made a mark, but I can't tell if it is just a mark or if there is damage. I know I need to shoot it to see, but I was wondering what kind of damage to a crown does it take to hurt accuracy. Is that little mark enough for a recrowning job?

IF the mark in on the edge of the crown, I would bet you will be getting the muzzle recrowned.

If there is a burr in this area you will know it when you shoot the rifle on paper next time. It really does not take much of a burr to ruin accuracy, in fact, if you can see it, its plenty large enough to throw a bullet off.

The only question is the location of the mark. If it is on edge of the crown then you may need work done, shoot her and see.

Recrowning is a very cheap proceedure, I charge $15 to recrown a muzzle so it is not major surgery, in fact, it is not a bad idea to clean up your crown every couple seasons just for the sake of knowing it is square and free of burrs.

Shot her and she will tell you how unhappy you made her!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

It was a pretty heavy Dewey rod, the thing that hit was a piece of steel that was a little bigger than the diameter of the bore. It had 10 or so inches for gravity to give it some speed on the way down! The mark is right on the edge around one side of the hole. I don't trust my gun shop here, would you have time to recrown it for me if I sent it to you?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't trust my gun shop here

[/ QUOTE ]

Understatement of the year, Neither Do I here either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
would you have time to recrown it for me if I sent it to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The man is like a god, He seems to have more time that than hours in a day. Infact I am going to buy time from him!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your making the right choice, better to be safe then sorry for the few bucks.

Thanks,
Ben

Arthurj,

Shoot the rigle and see if there is any change in average groups from before. If there is not then don't give it another worry. If there is a change, pack the barreled action up and ship it to me. In shop turn around would be a day and I can get it back to you.

Drop me an e-mail at:

[email protected]

and I will get you shipping information if you need the work done.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Shadowman,

Sorry can't spare any of my time, its all spoken for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!!

I just check the posts in the AM before heading to the shop, on my lunch break if I take one and then again in the evening.

I think e-mail responses should be offered quickly. There is nothing worse then e-mailing someone and getting a response a month later. If someone is willing to spend the time to e-mail me, I should take the time to return an e-mail when I read it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Kirby Allen(50)

Arthurj,
Because of what happened to you i manufactured "ranging rods" out of 5mm brass rod for 224 & 243 and 7mm brass rod for 30 cal.
Each has a lockable collar which i machined out of brass hexagon.
Instead of marking the rod i set the collar onto the muzzle and take a measurement of the extension above the collar with a vernier. I repeat this with the rod touching the bolt face. Using this method and a dummy round enables me to set my bullet seating depth to an accuracy of .001" without any fear of damaging the crown or rifling etc.

Ian.

Ok, well I guess I was EXTREMELY LUCKY, I shot 2 foulers then a 5 shot group this morning that measured .267. Man I was scared, guesss it didn't do as much damage as I thought. Centre Punch, after this incident those rods seem like a great idea. Thanks Fifty Driver, I might email you soon about accurizing a sendero I have, its going to need to be rebarrelled in a few months.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.