dialed in 500 hundred yards..

s.a.m.

hey yall just wanted to say i just dialed in my new rifle to 500 yards and im excited and contemplating if i should start saving up for a bigger scope for more longer shots.

s.a.m.:

First of all, welcome to LRH.

You might get better, and more informed opinions and advice, if we knew if the rifle is a factory or custom gun, what is the caliber/cartridge, what is the bullet and load, what is the current scope etc.

Also when you say "dialed in my new rifle to 500 yards", do you mean you have shot it from 100 yards out to 500 and know all of the drops and ballistics to that point or did you just shoot at 500 yards. Also, what do you plan on shooting, game or just targets, and under what conditions?

What do you plan on shooting, as far as ranges go? Up to 1000 yards or do you plan on going beyond if the gun is capable?

Lots of questions but they all apply when making a decision about changing equipment. I'm sure you'll get lots of help and opinions so good luck with your shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome

A little geographic information on your profile lets people know if you are close to them and what kind of animals you usually hunt, etc.

thnx guyz for your support.,

the rifle i have is a bolt action 300 win savage shortmag
i currently have the burris ballistic mil-dot 4X-16X-40MM scope. i sat at a table using a rifle rest and target my shots from 100 hundred yards and made my way up to 500 hundered yards.. it was quite windy so it was difficult to shoot accuret but i was really surprise at the marks. all right onthe mark. im using a 180 grain bullet. very short but fat short round. im glad i chose that rifle it shoots good and it very powerful and the kick is not bad at all.
i plan on using this rifle to hunt., we do deer hnts, elk, altho me or my father didnt get drawn this year well he did for achery but for rifle we are going to put in for bear and next year i plan of putting in for antelope.

i do plan on going farther in distance like up to a thousand yard shot. ill have to save up some money for the right scope. lol. right now im quite satisfied.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.