Developing a load from scratch

Tater1985

Alright, im going to start working up a load for my 7mm RM, first time. I have decided to try H-1000 for powder and will be using 168gr Berger VLDs. Most reloading manuals i can find for this load say about 62gr start and about 70gr max.

So, would i be safe to start in the 66-67gr area and work up slowly? And from what i have been reading, it seems best to see what charge it likes and safely shoots and THEN start playing with seating depth, correct? So if this is correct, then my last question is, what distance off the lands should i load them while playing with charge volume? I was thinking maybe .040" or .060" off the lands to start, then once i decide on a charge load some .020" in either direction and see what shoots best. Any advice or common practice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alright, im going to start working up a load for my 7mm RM, first time. I have decided to try H-1000 for powder and will be using 168gr Berger VLDs. Most reloading manuals i can find for this load say about 62gr start and about 70gr max.

So, would i be safe to start in the 66-67gr area and work up slowly? And from what i have been reading, it seems best to see what charge it likes and safely shoots and THEN start playing with seating depth, correct? So if this is correct, then my last question is, what distance off the lands should i load them while playing with charge volume? I was thinking maybe .040" or .060" off the lands to start, then once i decide on a charge load some .020" in either direction and see what shoots best. Any advice or common practice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 7RM and am also using H1000. I personally think you would be just fine starting with 66-67 grains. I am currently using 70 grains with the 168s. I would also agree that the next step would be to experiment with the seating depths, but I wouldn't move .02" because I think that is moving it too much. Take a look at the sticky thread (I think it's called) "Getting the most accuracy from Berger bullets" or something like that. It will give you a much better guideline for finding the sweet spot as far as seating depth goes.

Here is my .02 for the 7mag. I think you'll be fine starting at say 68grs. I have ALWAY'S had the best results by loading 4each. at 68grs. at .005", .010", .015", .020 and .025" FROM the lands. One of those is going to shoot the best. Then go up in .5gr. increments at the best seating depth until you show signs of pressure or they all shoot into almost 1 hole. If you have a chrony use it, and by all means try this at 200yds. 100yds is meaningless! Good luck! If you don't know how to find a particular seating depth or a way to measure from the bullets ogive you need to take a step back and start there.

That's basically how I do it.

I start .010" off the lands and make sure the rounds will fit in the magazine. I almost never go closer than .010" for a hunting load.

I prefer to hold seating depth constant until I've worked up to max load and found the desired accuracy node and then play with seating depth.

It's an iterative process and either way will work so long as you don't get in a hurry, cut corners, and change multiple variables at the same time.

-- richard

Here is my .02 for the 7mag. I think you'll be fine starting at say 68grs. I have ALWAY'S had the best results by loading 4each. at 68grs. at .005", .010", .015", .020 and .025" FROM the lands. One of those is going to shoot the best. Then go up in .5gr. increments at the best seating depth until you show signs of pressure or they all shoot into almost 1 hole. If you have a chrony use it, and by all means try this at 200yds. 100yds is meaningless! Good luck! If you don't know how to find a particular seating depth or a way to measure from the bullets ogive you need to take a step back and start there.

I have the Hornady bullet comparator set, so i will be able to measure. Im waiting to get my gun back from a friend thats floating the barrel for me. I need to measure my max OAL and deterine what the max is that will fit in my magazine.

That will work just fine. I've never loaded for a Vangard before. I'm curious as to whether you can seat the bullet .010" or so from the lands and have it fit in the magazine.

UPDATE:

I went to my buddy's last night, he is still not done working on the gun. But I went over to get the measurements I needed for reloading.

I took the bolt out and used my OAL guage and dummy case with a Berger VLD to check the MAX OAL to the ogive. I took several measurements to check and recheck myself.

2.707"
2.716"
2.725"
2.727"
2.725"
2.725"

I'm not sure if their was some fouling that was giving me short readings for the first few or what, but I feel pretty confident that 2.725" is a repeatable measurement to the lands.

My plans right now are to make up these loads using H-1000 to try:

4 @ 66.0gr/2.715"
4 @ 67.0gr/2.715"
4 @ 68.0gr/2.715"
4 @ 69.0gr/2.715"
4 @ 70.0gr/27.15"

(I did measure a factory HSM cartridge OAL to the ogive and it was 2.645" and when in the mag it looked to easily have 0.125"-0.150" clearance, so the this would equate to approximately 2.770" max mag length, so I should ok with whatever length I load as far as mag length.)

Once I find a safe max or a real shooter I will probably try the same charge at 2.695", 2.675" and 2.655" to see if any shoot better with more jump to the lands.

Does anyone think that starting at 66gr is a bad idea with a bullet that's only .010" off the lands?

For reference I had shot some HSM ammo loaded with 168gr bergers. I measured them to be .080" off the lands and the advertised velocity (never shot through chrono) was 3067fps. The primers in these loads were smashed pretty dang flat, but that's a pretty hot for factory.

You'll be fine. My load is 72grs with the 168 at .010" jump in a factory Rem 700 action. DON'T start at 72! If you have a chrony use it during the work up. I'll bet that 66grs will chrony at 2800fps or less. Just start at the 66grs and enjoy the practice.

Sorry for the super long wait, but here is the update on the loads. Just shot them today.

Reloaded first loads @ 2.714" (.011" off the lands)

3 shot groups at 200 yards off bipod out of my truck bed.

66.0 gr
2831, 2775, 2748
2785 avg
1.81"

67.0 gr
2836, 2830, 2749
2805 avg
1.88"

68.0 gr
2885, 2945, 2895
2908 avg
2.93"

69.0 gr
2943, err9, 2854
2899 avg
6.06"

70.0 gr
2979, 2912, 2953
2948 avg
3.88"

Your results go right along mine with H1000 with any length that would fit down the mag. I switched to Retumbo and the groups closed up as the powder increased,they fit down the mag and dont mind the cold but do get a little fickle above 95*....

Your results go right along mine with H1000 with any length that would fit down the mag. I switched to Retumbo and the groups closed up as the powder increased,they fit down the mag and dont mind the cold but do get a little fickle above 95*....

Groups closed up! I'm no crack shot by any stretch of the imagination, lol. If I shoot sub MOA groups at all, I'm doing good, especially since these were all laying in the bed of my truck and shooting off a bipod. They my tighten up if I were to shoot off of bags at a bench.

I wonder if I can get the 70gr charge to tighten up to what the 66gr and 67gr was shooting by playing with seating depth? I would still like to find what the max charge is for this load, I'm not showing any pressure signs yet at 70gr.

U should be able to get under an moa to be effective at longer range.. 1.88 is not really long range accurate.. it may even open up more at longer distance.. shouldnt matter if ur off a bipod or shootin bag i do both.. mostly bipod now as thats how we hunt in the field.. just as accurate if u use a rear bag.. i would keep playing with it u def should be able to get those within 1 inch or better at 200.. i have a lapua that off a bipod shoots .33 inch groups all day at 300.. keep workin at it
. I agree try retumbo.. my 7mm loves retumbo!!

Kasey

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.