detachable magazines on lr rifles

the guy at the local gun shop told me that detachable magazines and hinged floorplates make a rifle somewhat less precise. is this true? might be nice to have something to blame sloppy shots on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
i've never owned a rifle with a det mag, seems like it would be a big convenience.

BGP,

The only issue I am aware of with DBMs is that they limit OAL.

BTW: I play a little banjo and dobro, what about you?

Rick

Theoretically the cutout in the bottom of the action for any repeater action is going to be less stiff than a solid bottom single-shot action. Similarly, *theoretically* a stock w/ a big-*** hole cut all the way thru it could be considered less stiff and ridgid than a blind magazine. Don't think it'd be any less stiff than a regular drop-floorplate magazine repeater, though.

The key to the above is the word *theoretically*. Shootin' the bull at the gun shop... yeah, it might be a shade less accurate. For practical real-world shooting... I wouldn't sweat it too much.

YMMV,

Monte

I wouldn't put too much into this. All the Tikka rifles sell with drop magazines and they all guarentee 1 MOA. Can't be that bad really. And, the stock is really not relavent to the accuracy of the round anyway since it's the bolt to barrel that makes or breaks a rifle. The only relavence I can see is OAL as mentioned being limited.

thanks guys, i hadn't even considered oal yet. that's another potential mistake that you guys have saved me from! why would a manufacturer make det mags that only allow smaller oals? in my blissfull ingnorance, i'd think they'd all be the same. oh well, i guess that's why nobody hired me to build guns. i'm leaning towards a savage in 300wm at this point. does anyone have experience with the aol limitations for that particular setup?
rwleonard, those dobros are no easy instruments! i play the other ones, mando, banjo, guitar, and upright bass. i also do a mean cat-in-heat call on the fiddle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
thanks for your help,
bob

bluegrasspicker
I shoot a Savage 300 WM (BVSS112). For the rounds to fit in the mag. I have an oal of 3.435 the lands are at 3.580 so I'm .145 off the lands. Fortunatly both the 200 gr SMK and Accubond don't seem to mind the jump, they both shoot .5"-.75" groups at 100 yds. I might be able to ring out better accuracy if I seated the bullets out further and used the gun as a single shot, but its a hunting rifle and I like a second shot when things don't go as planned.
Chris

P.S. oal measurments using a stoney point comparator.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts