desicions; .243Win or 6.5Creedmoor

Mada

So its that time again; the time after my birthday that I get to choose a new rifle for a present.

The two cartridge I've been considering are the .243Winchester and 6.5Creedmoor. I choose these two because I already own a magnum rifle; for long range hunting. And I already own a .30-06... because its a .30-06.. I want a cartridge that is small, light recoil, doesn't ruin pelts, but still has the ability to reach.

What would you picks between these two?

Why the .243:
If I was to be chambered in the .243, my close hunting buddy and I could both share ammo. The caliber is small enough for varmint; and extended range target shooting. If I wanted, deer sized game could be harvested with this caliber. This cartridge has also has plenty of factory loads for it, and its well vouched for in the community.

Why the 6.5:
Well, this cartridge is new, but all who've fired it has vouched for it being excellent. I mean.. its made by Hornady!! However, none of my buddies shoot this cartridge. And factory loads are scarce. I know it can reach, but I think it would be too strong for varmint. I know its more of a big game cartridge.

Might look at a 260 rem. Better brass available. If not and this is mostly for varmint shooting then go with the 243win. I have killed a bunch of deer with my old 6mm rem. ( a hot 243 mostly ) but you have to pick your shots carefully. The 6.5 creedmore is just a fad with little market support. It will be all but forgotten in a decade with a few guys hording brass trying to keep it alive.

neither of those choices are easy on pelts. I dont care when I shoot a yote, unless its really nice.
I personally have a .243win and like it alot. its the right balance of availibility, LR performance and Its easy to load for.

If you're worried about finding factory ammo, this is a no brainer IMO.

.243 All the way. .260 would be second because you CANT shoot as many big game animals as you could potentially shoot varmints. That's just obvious. You could shoot more coyotes in a day, than you might shoot deer in a year.

I feel the creedmore is more at home in a gas gun, because of the mag restrictions, but if you're looking for coyote loads, I'm betting that's not a concern either.

So its that time again; the time after my birthday that I get to choose a new rifle for a present.

The two cartridge I've been considering are the .243Winchester and 6.5Creedmoor. I choose these two because I already own a magnum rifle; for long range hunting. And I already own a .30-06... because its a .30-06.. I want a cartridge that is small, light recoil, doesn't ruin pelts, but still has the ability to reach.

What would you picks between these two?

Why the .243:
If I was to be chambered in the .243, my close hunting buddy and I could both share ammo. The caliber is small enough for varmint; and extended range target shooting. If I wanted, deer sized game could be harvested with this caliber. This cartridge has also has plenty of factory loads for it, and its well vouched for in the community.

Why the 6.5:
Well, this cartridge is new, but all who've fired it has vouched for it being excellent. I mean.. its made by Hornady!! However, none of my buddies shoot this cartridge. And factory loads are scarce. I know it can reach, but I think it would be too strong for varmint. I know its more of a big game cartridge.

You MAY or you MAY NOT be able to share ammo. I HAD 2 243's here...and the headspace difference ( both factory) was enough that on one of them you couldnt close the bolt on a reloaded round fired in the other. I finally sold one

.243 All the way. .260 would be second because you CANT shoot as many big game animals as you could potentially shoot varmints. That's just obvious. You could shoot more coyotes in a day, than you might shoot deer in a year.

I feel the creedmore is more at home in a gas gun, because of the mag restrictions, but if you're looking for coyote loads, I'm betting that's not a concern either.

260 works good though in a bolt gun for long range. If using handloads its all that a 6.5 Creedmore can be..!

You MAY or you MAY NOT be able to share ammo. I HAD 2 243's here...and the headspace difference ( both factory) was enough that on one of them you couldnt close the bolt on a reloaded round fired in the other. I finally sold one

I think my buddy and I can share ammo. We will both be owning Savage rifles. Shooting factory Hornady loads.

260 works good though in a bolt gun for long range. If using handloads its all that a 6.5 Creedmore can be..!

I would consider the .260 Rem as I've heard alot of good about this cartridge. If I didnt factor in the idea of sharing ammo.

c_bass16; this is random but I'm scktz from YT, We were having a conversation about making ghillie suits. I recognized you from the pic of your rifle !

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.