Depth Question

Re: Rem 710 Purchase

rotorhead,CatShooter,

Thanks for the info.

The stock is made out of well i'm not a 100% sure.I know that i can slide a $ between it and the barrel.so i'm not to close to have it pushed up when barrle get's hot.

I have a rcbs neck sizer comeing and i'm going to get a decapping die so i will shoot a few and then neck size in hopes the the shoulder will be where it should be to stop me streching and seperating cases.i would fell better trying this way first before i try to neck size with a fl die.with Me being new anyways.

Your on the right track. I use neck bushing die and a separate body die on about everything except for old cowboy loads for some fella's around here and my own 30-30. I don't think you need the bushing dies for a factory gun I only use them because I load for different people with different type or brands of brass I also turn a couple of neck here and there and the bushing dies help me to get the proper neck tension.

If you were to ask me before you purchased die I would have said, a standard redding full length to use when needed and a standard redding neck sizer and a comp seater by redding or forester. The pasesetter should work fine for the full length and the RCBS neck should work fine. I would check the run out of each die to make sure they are square . I have gotten some that were not correct this is why I use only redding and forester now.

Rh

After i shoot the shells to open the shoulder up.What is the max or is there one that i shouldn't go over on "shell" length? or should it depend on the gun.

I think your asking how long should you let the case get?? If this is what your asking , you should let the rifle dictate this.
Lets say you have a brand new case;
you should load that case as you would normally.
Then after it has been fired it will grow to fit your chamber.
for the next loading you only need to neck size the case and check it for over all length.

put the case in the rifle and close the bolt.
as long as the bolt locks with out too much force your good to go.
Trim all your cases to the same length( use your book ) load it up and away you go.

Are you new to reloading? If so what books and loading manuals are you working out of?
What kind of brass are you using?
I would also be curious as to the load that your loading?
I know 4831sc but what is your charge??

Rh

RH,

My favorite load is 75gr H4831sc with 180gr sst with rem brass fed primers.

This is the load i want to shoot i had the best luck with it untill i seperated some case.Now i'm am going to shoot a few with a lower charge and strech them out to fit gun and then neck size and try my 75Gr load again to see if it fixes my problem.

I'm new to reloading.So i'm trying to work all the bugs out and get a good starting point of how i should do things and how it works.

The books i have are the lyman book #48 i think
A hornaday book and a nosler book.and the world widw web so i think i have some good ifo places but i would rather talk to people that have done it rather than a book.

I completly agree with what everyone else has said so far; BUT, if you want to try a shorter "jump to the lands" you could load them longer and feed them single shot. Then if it is worth it you could look into lengthening you mag box.

Just a thought.

I loaded 10 with 70 grains shot them to see if it would strch it out and it did so i neck sized them and loaded them to 75 grains and the worked great.No i thing i have got my case seperation problm fixed i'm going to start moveing the bullet in and out.

Thanks to all for replying.If you have anymore info feel free to shoot it my way.

That is what I was refering to. In your original post you were concerned about bullet jump to the lands but I thought you or someone else had mentioned that you were concerned about longer loads not fitting in your magazine. Now as I look back I think I was mistaken (never wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

All I was saying is play with seating depth and see what happens. If they don't fit in your magazine just feed them single shot and if it's NECESSARY later, then look into lengthening out the magazine box.

I think I'm reading too many posts and getting them all mushed together in my brain...

Great! I'm glad it is working for you know. My next tip is; make sure to try your cases in the gun as time goes by. when the cases start to get a little tight you will need to full length size them but when you do back off the full length die and just size the case a little at a time until it fits again as explained in my earlier post.

The nosler book and the hornady books are pretty good I do however think the sierra book is full of good info as well, by the way they have a tech line you can call with problem and these guys are real great guys to work with. It is toll free and they have always been helpful. I've talked to several different tech and settle on the guy I relate with the best. also If I couldn't get a hold of him I left a messages and he has always called back. I use almost only sierra bullets for my guns but I load for several people and they have helped me with other problems with other bullet companies bullets

Note: I use mostly sierra bullet because they work well and are consistent and cheaper for the most part.

well there are my tips I hope they will hep you out

Rh

THANKS GUYS,

When i'm neck sizeing how much of the neck do i need to size.the first time i did 2/3rds of the neck is the right or do i need to do the entire neck.I was trying not to do to much to push the shoulder back.i tryed game kings and couldn't get them to group well at all.i still have a few so i'm going to try them again after i get all my bugs worked out.

Also how do you post a pic on here?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts