Defensive Long Range Class 01-07

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Last Saturday and Sunday I held the first LRH class of the year. The weather was not the most comfortable, slight drizzle, small fog collums and about 55 degrees. While the conditions were no the most pleasurable they were a very good learning experience. Students were able to learn to use the spotting scope to focus on mid canyon rain to dope the wind, use the light fog patches to read updrafts and changing wind conditions. The light drizzle also allowed for some to see for the first time bullet trace as it disrupted the rain in flight. Notes on the class:
1. Nightforce optics dominated the class.
2. calibers- 280 Rem, 300 Win, 300 Ultra, 338 Edge
3. The balistic advantage of 300 gr SMK's out of the Edge's was a serious advantage in simply being able to hit the plate at any distance over 500 yards.
4. A great group of guys makes my job fairly simple and alot of fun. Not a single complaint about the weather.

Here is a picture of Brian R. and Colt R. both shooting 338 Edge's at a distant target. Both used Nightforce scopes and used them for spotting chores as well. The NPR2 & NPR1 reticules are excellent for calling second round corrections.

LRHclass01-07.JPG

Shawn, thanks for the class and help, and even the realistic wet weather. It was very pleasurable to see that EDGE round slap those steel targets really hard. Puts a smile on the face. My 280 was like a pea shooter.

We pushed my little 280 to the limit and beyond with only 10x optics on those plates set up on those mountain sides. The most important part of the course I felt was the spotting and calling and observation. You said it well when the spotter was the most important component of the shot. This is truly where I am going to concentrate my efforts in wind and conditions readings.

We'll chat later about some upgrades, and I'll hook up soon.

Aaron W

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Shawn, was there any shots that were downhill?? Seems like one guy inparticular I know needs some practicing on those, ha ha. One of these years, hopefully next, I"ll be able to make it to something like this...

Very few of the shots are level on field day, most are at least downhill/uphill enough to make you miss if you don't work in the downhill factor. I know alot of shooters that practice and develope their game at the range, that is good and better than nothing. However as anyone that has taken my class will tell you simply changing to field shots and field positions is a different world and requires different techniques and applications. Hope you can make it out sometime.

How did your students like your new 338 AM?

One of these days I will have to come over and take your class. My lightweight 338 AM will be finished this week if I can get the brake finished up on her. Would be fun to run them both side by side!!!

Anyway, looks like a hell of a time.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
changing to field shots and field positions is a different world and requires different techniques and applications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Its the basic cause of some of my "unexplainable" misses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kirby,

Unfortunatly I only had time to fire a couple of rounds through it, most were suitably impressed though. Even just shooting a plate at 1148 it was quite apparent the seroius advantage it holds.

Roy

It is so true most people just don't realize how much difference it makes being in the field unless you practice.

That sounds and looks like an awesome class. I need to find some time to come up there and take your class also.

At our recent off site shoot, I impressed a lot of the guys with my 338 EDGE. It was amazing how much of an advantage I had at the longer ranges and in the wind. We had constant winds of 15 mph and gusts up to 25 mph in certain spots along the course of fire. The way the shoot worked was we were to take 5 shots on each target with the first round being worth 5 points and 2nd through 4th shot being worth 3 point and the 5th shot being worth 2. I was able to pull off more 1st round hits than anyone out there, especially at the longer ranges (600 to 1200 yards).

Another "cool" factor was just the sound after the 300 gr SMK hit the target!! Most everyone was shooting a .308 and when their bullets hit it just sounded like a plink. When my round hit it was more like a smack! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Devin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.