Defensive Edge success story

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Shawn Carlock, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Earlier this summer the wife of a friend of mine attended one of my Long Range Hunting classes. I built at her husbands request a custom Rem 700 in 260 Rem, complete with Nightforce scope and all of the goodies. Tammy came to the class and made most of the guys feel kind of bad, she can really shoot, throwing down hits out to and past 1000 yards. Now Tammy is a cute gal, the most friendly person you'll ever meet and is a first class big game killing machine.

Fast forward to yesterday. Tammy and Tom setup on one of their honey holes to catch a heard of elk that had been showing up there. They hadn't been in place long when they appeared. Along with over a dozen cows was a dandy 6x6 bull. Tom ranged it at 708 yards. Tammy settled in and drilled him with the 260. The bull went about 8 or 9 yards and piled up. I was pleased to have helped out in my own way on their adventure.

[​IMG]

2. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Great story! Hmm...maybe I should try that with my wife...

3. Tom and Tammy

Tom and Tammy New Member

Wow, you're fast....just dropped the pics to you a couple of hours ago! I'll have the video edited shortly and we'll get that posted as well. Thanks for everything Shawn...Whoop'n gun, obviously very accurate and easy to shoot with the right training!gun)

4. bwaites

bwaites Well-Known Member

Very nice!!

Looks like not enough rain on the wheat in Idaho, either!

Bill

5. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, but can she cook? :cool:

6. Savagebien

Savagebien Well-Known Member

dadgum! load info please! lung shot?

7. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Hornady 140 gr Amax, CCI BR2, H4350 43.0 gr. OAL 2.850" , same load I use in mine for competition.

8. ebd10

ebd10 Well-Known Member

Waitaminute!!!! I thought that a puny little .260 couldn't kill elk? I thought you needed to launch a huge bullet from a platform that singed your eyebrows off when you fired it? :D

Anyway, now that my illusions are shattered, Congrats! Nice rifle, great shooting, and nice bull.

9. Savagebien

Savagebien Well-Known Member

glad to hear the performance from the amax!!!!!!

10. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

I'd be happy to shoot a deer or elk at long distances if and this is a big "if", I was positive of perfect bullet placement. A good heart lung shot no issues, drift into the shoulder and your day would suck in a large way especially on an elk. Slip that Amax or similar bullet into the crease and life is good.

11. Tom and Tammy

Tom and Tammy New Member

Thank you!!

12. BCinKS

BCinKS Well-Known Member

Way to go,that is a very nice elk!

13. john powers

john powers Member

I would like to set the record straight about this so called 708 yrd shot, it seems that to often the ones doing the shooting make the story a bit diferent then what realy happend.So here is the real story,,,and I was there....according to my range finder it was 709 yards,,,the rest is true...congrats Tammy love ya,,,JP

14. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Since John was there and I was not I will have to defer to his version:).